Additional line - online order possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by douten, Oct 4, 2011.

1. douten macrumors newbie

I'm planning to jump to Verizon from T-Mobile for the iPhone4S. We have a family plan (3 lines). I tried to do a test drive with the iPhone4 adding a new family shared plan and I couldn't order it online. For those with experience to know this, would it then be possible to add it as an additional line to the plan if I create a shared plan first?

Thanks!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

All the carriers just plain suck at ordering online. I found that Verizon is better than average but that's not saying much. I suggest that you talk to VZW on the phone and let them know what you are trying to do. They will probably tell you to order the new phone on a fresh new line and then call them to add it to your family plan or use your existing account management login to add it to your family plan. This is where all the carriers commit epic fail. If something saves you money, you have to talk to a person before 6 PM eastern Monday through Friday. If something costs you money, you can do it online at 4 in the morning.

With At&t, I added 3 lines. My first bill came. It was $400. Yes it was. At&t knew their computer was messed up and they called me. Lucky they did because those 3 iPhones would have been back at the Apple store by now if they didn't. They rebated me the various overcharges and my bill went back down to a more reasonable (but still not cheap) amount for 4 iPhone lines.

On their web site, it doesn't matter how many times I check remember me. It still forgets me like I've never been to their web site in my life. When I go to review past bills, it still shows the botched charges. I won't know everything is back to "normal" until this month's bill "prints" later this week.

So in your situation, make sure you get a person's name and write down what they promise you. Make sure you see what you will be billed while there is time to return the phone. These are just precautions but having waited 2 days past Verizon's cancellation period a few years back (when the ETFs were a lot lower) I can say you need to invest some time and effort to make sure everything is right before the $350 ETF goes into effect and you can't get out of your contract.