Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hey,

A friend just recently purchased a NVIDIA Video Card and went to install it in his new Mac Pro but could not find a source to hook up additional power to the card. He called Apple and they weren't able to tell him how to connect to the Mac power supply.

Does the motherboard provide the necessary power so that he doesn't need to hook up the extra power cable to the card or does he need a booster cable etc?

cheers

Can

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
What kind og MacPro does he have. I have limited experience with MacPro´s but at least the newest MacPro have support for up to two additional power sources for the gfx card.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
He has the newest Mac Pro (2008). It appears that power supply is sealed off. How can he connect to it? Any further suggestions?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Well if the card is not supported by apple (and I assume its not since apple could give you no help) then apple may have been crafty and limited its expandability!

Try ringing again and ask for one of the Mac Pro techies, some of the basic answers only have a limited knowledge!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
You need a cable that runs from the motherboard to the graphic card.

It can be had at welovemacs.com if I recall correctly.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
There are two connectors on the motherboard, to the left, and slightly above, the slot for the video card.

On the prev-generation Mac Pro, you needed a custom cable for this (or the one that came with Apple-branded video cards). This is how to make one:

http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?article=96&section=other

On the newest Mac Pro models, I'm not sure if they are still using this nonstandard connector...

forumbob

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
second graphics card power

I'm having a similar problem - I have a mac pro and want to install a second graphics card. (nvidia) I need another 2 (i think they are pci 6 pin) power plugs. The mac pro doesn't seem to have any extras (i've used the 2 obvious ones for the first card)- unless they are hiding under something.
The optical drive has a sata combo power/signal plug and there doesn't seem to be an adapter to hijack this power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks

bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.