Additional Screen for Pro tools?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lacassius, Feb 6, 2009.

1. lacassius macrumors member

ok Ive been using pro tools for about a week now and i really like it and learned it extremly fast. Now Im seeing that I am going to need an additional bigger screen.

Ive read somwhere that it be a good idea to use 1 screen for mixing and the other for track editing, which to me is exactly what i'd be using it for but I just dont see how you can have the main screen on my macbook to show 1 thing and the other screen thats hooked up to the macbook show somthing else.

Is that even possible?

and last question what do these additional screens usually plug into? usb, firewire, express card?

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Of course it's possible. It's been that way for god knows how many years.
    Nothing to do with Pro Tools, you just set the monitors up in system preference.

You haven't said what your Mac model is, but as long as it's not the newest Macbooks, you'll just be plugging the monitor in to the extra or the one DVI port if it's a macbook pro. I have no idea about the imac though.

It would help if you gave some information before expecting any answers.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, just do it.

There is a mini display port on your macbook and you should have received an adapter with the machine, of not you can buy one from the Apple site.

Plug the monitor in and your machine will find it. You will have to uncheck the "Mirrored" mode to stop the same thing showing on both screens, this is in the Displays panel.

The orientation of the two screens is also accessible from the Monitors panel, and you can orient the two screens any way you wish, you can also make the second screen the main system screen if you wish.

I have the edit screen on my MBP's screen and the mix page on the second, which also double as the video screen if I have video present.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

5. lacassius thread starter macrumors member

Niiiice...

and sorry for not providing enough info. I just thought that if that was the problem someone woulda have said "cant answer untill I get more info"..but regardless, question answered...thanx once again...