Additional Spelling languages

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by myname70, Aug 1, 2015.

1. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to add additional spelling languages ? (manually , by adding the spelling files)

2. leman macrumors 604

OS X spellchecker is essentially the open-source Hunspell engine. It uses *.aff and *.dic files as spelling dictionaries. This is the same format as used by OpenOffice and many other applications. You can either try to locate *.aff and *.dic files for your language somehow, or you can download the corresponding OpenOffice dictionary extension. That is an OXT file, which is essentially a zip with a custom file extension. Unzip it with a zip utility, and copy the dictionary files to ~/Library/Spelling. It should work.

3. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I copied both files .aff / .dic in this folder, but the language doe snot appear under the spelling menu. An din ~/Library/Spelling folder I do no shave ny other languages at all... just LocalDictionary file and dynamic-text.dat / dynamic-counts.dat files

4. leman macrumors 604

Look at the Keyboard/Text under Settings. Does it appear in the Set Up spelling menu? It is possible that you need to check the box.

5. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does not appear in the settings... Strange..

6. leman macrumors 604

What dictionary are you using? I tried with a third-party dictionary of Ukrainian, and it worked.

P.S. By now, I am starting to doubt my sanity as apparently features that work under my 10.11 installation do not work for anyone else :p

7. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use ~/Library/Spelling . Now overwrite again both files and it worked :) Bulgarian language appeared in the settings. Thanks!

8. stonerdt macrumors newbie

stonerdt

In Yosemite I could put the .aff and .dic Slovak dictionary files in the System/Library/Spelling location on my Mac HD so it was universal for all users but now in El Capitan, that folder is no longer there. So I also put it in my ~/library/spelling location and it shows up in my spell checker. I liked the first option but cannot tell where it might be now. I used to see the Polish dictionary in this system folder with the .aff and .dic extensions but it is not anywhere now either.

9. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a