Additional SSD disk - few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VitaliyB, Dec 30, 2011.

1. VitaliyB macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am going to add an SSD to my late-2011 MBP instead of DVD drive (and put the OS on it). Please help me with the following issues:

1. Should I install a new SSD in the hdd slot, moving the hdd to the "optibay", or just put the ssd in the optibay?

2. Since there are no install disk with the MBP yet, how can I install lion on a new disk (I have no files to move, just 'clean' install required).

3. After that, I must switch off hibernate mode and atime.

4. Are there any problems installing windows with bootcamp on SSD?

5. Anything else I missed?

Many thanks in advance...

2. onions macrumors member

1. if your SSD is SATA III then it must go in the HD slot, and the HD must go into the optibay slot.

2. if you want to clean install lion, you can reboot and hold down Command-R. you'll be booted into lion recovery mode. Just follow the on screen prompts to reinsall lion. You'll be able to select the drive you want to install it on. If the SSD isn't formatted yet, you can choose Disk Utility before installing lion to format the SSD.

as for the rest, i haven't done any of those things so i can't really comment.

3. VitaliyB thread starter macrumors newbie

I have SATA II Intel 320 series.
    Are there any problems with switching off hdd in the optibay slot, or motion sensor options?

4. Sammi :) macrumors member

Thanks for this. I was just about to ask some of the same questions. :)

Is there anything available to move software from a HD to an SSD? I'd like to have my software and OS on an SSD and files on a HD.

5. onions macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner:

http://www.bombich.com/

You can select which files you want to clone over to the new drive. Basically you select a source (your original hd) and a target (the new ssd). Uncheck the "users" directory so that only the OS and applications and other files are cloned over to the new drive. You'll have to change some settings in the accounts area of system prefs. I followed these instructions and it worked fine for me:

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

The only thing that didn't work was itunes authorization. That requires the "Shared" folder under Users to be present on the OS drive. Just copy it over once everything is done and authorizations should work again.

6. VMMan macrumors 6502a

First, burn the Intel firmware update to a CD.

Install Intel SSD into HDD spot then boot CD and update firmware.

The intel updater cannot be booted from a USB device (eg flash or cd drive).

7. VitaliyB thread starter macrumors newbie

This is already done, thank you:)

8. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

i have an apple 120gb ssd in the hd slot and in intel 320 sata II 120gb in the opti bay. since its sata II id just leave the normal hd alone and install your OS in the opti bay ssd. that way you dont have to worry about the motion sensors and putting the normal hd to sleep when not in use options. these drives are amazing btw. no need for trim since they have garbage collection.

9. Sammi :) macrumors member

Thanks, I will definitely be giving that a go when I get an SSD. :D