Additional Storage via Sd/USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wrinkster22, Jun 27, 2011.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hello,
    I am considering buying a macbook air once the new ones come out. Wether I buy the new one or the current one I will decide later. My real question is (this will help me decide on wether i buy the 13" or 11": Is there a good way to get an external drive that would not stick out of the macbook air. I was thinking about putting an sd card in the 13" sd card slot, but I think i heard that the card does not go in all the way, Any good small foot print storage deviced for the usb port? (I was thinking of a really small adapter and micro sdhc card...)
    Thanks, Paul!

2. Brenzo macrumors regular

If the card went all the way in, how would you get it out? Carry around a pair of tweezers or something?

3. ResPublica macrumors regular

ResPublica

:D
    It might have worked like a CD-drive or an old floppy drive, but it doesn't. ;)

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I assume just like all of the other SD card slots where the card is flush when inserted, push to eject.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you take your SD card and go test it out?

You push again and it pops out.

6. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I just got the elago microsd reader today (amazon.com). It's extremely small on my 11" MBA. It barely sticks out and since I had a 16gb micro sd left over from my Evo, I just increased memory by 16gb. I'm eventually planning on getting a 32gb card, but for now, this should work.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

8. Wormald macrumors regular

Fingers crossed they double the maximum SSD capacity.

9. Brenzo macrumors regular

I've had plenty of SD card readers that are push-in/pull-out and I've had cameras/phones with the push-to-eject function. Maybe putting in the eject feature takes up more space than desired inside the Airs. It's also another couple small pieces ready to break.

10. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Not even MBPs with SD card readers fit the SD card in flush... I think Apple just hates that design.

11. ZipZap macrumors 603

Elago is unreliable. I have one and it disconnects reconnects all the time. Size is great just wish I could find one that is stable.

12. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

These are the kinds of thing i was looking for, thanks! I thought that the card reader was a push to eject type. People said why dont i test it out, Cause, Apple is really busy right now!