Address Book alternatives

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Guys,
Anyone know of any good address book alternatives? I really like the way adium can replace ichat, and looking for same for AD.

A

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I've been using AddressBook and have not had any real issues with it except for some printing releated ones (which I reported to Apple).

What issues are you having with AddressBook so people will have an idea of where AddressBook doesn't meet your needs so the suggestions you get will be more meaningful.

I also suggest you use the feedback mechanism Apple provides on their website to suggest enhancements.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The problem with a wholesale Address Book replacement is that the Address Book application provides a lot of system functionality to other apps (Mail and iChat spring to mind). Address Book provides an API which lets application developers access and update the data in the Address Book from their own apps. Any third party app would have to somehow replace this API as well.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Bear said:
I've been using AddressBook and have not had any real issues with it except for some printing releated ones (which I reported to Apple).

What issues are you having with AddressBook so people will have an idea of where AddressBook doesn't meet your needs so the suggestions you get will be more meaningful.

I also suggest you use the feedback mechanism Apple provides on their website to suggest enhancements.
I really* hate the way they've implemented creating new contacts. Very tedious an annoying.

Andrew

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
nesbitt_a said:
I really* hate the way they've implemented creating new contacts. Very tedious an annoying.

Andrew
It would be possible to create a new front-end to this that used the Address Book API to update the system address book. Exactly how would you like to create new contacts?

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
robbieduncan said:
It would be possible to create a new front-end to this that used the Address Book API to update the system address book. Exactly how would you like to create new contacts?
I've no idea! hehe.
Was just wondering if anyone had any alternatives that I could try out.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
nesbitt_a said:

Andrew
I'm not sure you'll find much of anything better for this. I've definitely seen worse in other software. I've also seen different that was in my opinion about the same effort to add a new card.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Bear said:
I'm not sure you'll find much of anything better for this. I've definitely seen worse in other software. I've also seen different that was in my opinion about the same effort to add a new card.
.. In what apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.