Address book and contacts.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bo-waleed, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bo-waleed, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i have an iphone synced with my MBP and my mother has an iphone that need to synced to my MBP , i want to sync the contacts on both iphone and i don't want my contacts mix with my mother contacts.

how can i do this ? my contacts are already synced on my MBP and they are in the Address book.

2. icewing macrumors 6502

Don't know this for sure but it seems like it should work: Set up a new user for your Mom on your MBP.

Log into that user and sync your mom's phone, when you want to sync yours make sure you are logged into your own account.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you use playlists in iTunes?

You can do the same basic thing in Address Book. Make 'Groups' and put your contacts in one and hers in another.

ALL contacts will be synced to your phone, but you can go up to the top level of your contacts and just view a single group.

So you view your and she views hers.

The only downside (if you can call it that) is that typing names in mail will autocomplete things from each other's address books since they all exist in the phone's memory.

If that's a problem, do what the previous poster suggested and make different user accounts on the Mac. (That's probalby a better idea anyway, for dozens of reasons.)

4. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

but the reason my mom want to sync on my MBP is to sync some music files.
    if i make another user account it won't have the music files.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If she has her own computer, stick the music files into a flash drive and then authorize her computer to play your iTunes content. Then she can sync her contacts on her own machine.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then make her another user account on the Mac and put just her contacts in it. (You can export the address book to a file then re-import that file to her address book. Now erase her contacts from yours and your contacts from hers.) Sync her mac account's address book with G-Mail.

Then sync her iPhone with YOUR account (same as now) but de-select the contact syncing and have it erase all contacts from her phone.

After you've wiped the contacts off it, un-plug the phoen and set up her phone to sync wirelessly with the g-mail account using these instructions:
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

You don't even have to use the e-mail part of g-mail if she doesn't want to. Turn 'mail' off in the g-mail settings and just leave 'contacts' on. She can keep using whatever e-mail she uses now.