Address Book, constantly 'updating index'...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jebaloo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Hi, my HD collpased on me a few weeks ago and now that i got it back i've been busy getting it back to it's previous state. Most everything went back into place with ease from a disk image i'd thankfully made a coupe of weeks before my laptop broke.

My address book however is now playing up. I had a more recent back-up of it online than on my disk image, so I went into 'Application support', and then 'Address Book' and simply replaced the entire contents of the folder with the contents of my backed-up version.

The problem now is that whenever i open up the address book and try to search the applcation stalls and at the bottom of the window it flashes, 'updating index', continually.

I don't knw just to leave it to do this for a long period of time, or whether there is some way of rebuilding the index manually/automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump this, but I still have the problem and no replies so far.

Thanks for looking.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

There are a couple of Address Book preference files in User/Library/Preferences. You could try renaming them and then try Address Book again to see if that works. Alternatively you could try unchecking 'Contacts' in the Spotlight preference pane, and then re-checking it to see if that re-builds the index.

4. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there, Thanks for your advice.

I've tried both of the above things and nothing has changed unfortunately.

I've also tried backing up the address book and then shutting down, restarting, and then reverting the address book to its back-up.

Still no gain.

Any ideas?

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Hmmmm, my only other suggestion would be to delete the cache files in User/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook

6. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately that hasn't worked either... Tried everything. Totally stuck. I might have to resort to a trip to a genius bar.

Thank you for your help, any other suggestions appreciated.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This problem got me interested when i first read bt I couldn't find anything so didn't report at the time. Please be sure to post the "fix" if the genius guys find one

8. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502