Address Book GMail sync not appearing as option even though application supports this

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdinstardom, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pdinstardom macrumors newbie

Hi!

I would like to sync my Address Book (app) contacts with my GMail contacts so that my GMail is kept up-to-date with changes in the Address Book.app application.

In the Help files for the Address Book application, there is mention of a checkbox for GMail syncing. However, I do not have this checkbox. Would anyone tell me why this checkbox doesn't appear for me?

Here's what the Address Book help file says with the important section in bold:

"
    To synchronize with your Google Contacts:

1) In Address Book, choose Address Book > Preferences, and then click General.

2) Select the “Synchronize with Google” checkbox. **(NOTE: I don't have this checkbox, just 3 checkboxes for .Mac, Exchange, and Yahoo!)**

3) Read the advisory information and then click Agree to continue.

4) Enter your Google account name (such as you@gmail.com or, for Google Apps customers, you@yourcompanyname.com) and password, and then click OK.

--You can sync only one Google account.
    --When the account name and password you entered are confirmed, the dialog disappears. You can close Address Book preferences now if you want.

Click the Sync menu in the menu bar and choose Sync Now.
    To add the Sync menu to the menu bar, open iSync, choose iSync > Preferences, and then select “Show status in menu bar.”
    "

Thanks!

~Patrick is Confused

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I believe this feature is only available if you have an iPhone.

3. chocodup macrumors member

chocodup

Hi,

the GMail sync feature (appeared in Mac OS X 10.5.3) is only available for iPhone and iPod touch users.
    If you have none of these, I found a tip described on this website :
    http://lifehacker.com/393855/enable-google-contact-sync-without-an-iphone-or-ipod-touch

It consists in modifying ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist file to "simulate" this kind of device.

The checkbox will then appear in Address Book > Preferences

Edit : It has worked for me (I have an iPod nano, but none of the required devices :eek:)

4. pdinstardom thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting... thanks for your responses!

I might look into that!

Best Regards,

~Patrick