Address Book & Google Sync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Link00seven, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

Hello all,

I had a question about Google Sync. I know that you can, in Snow Leopard, setup the Address Book to sync with Google. Here is my questions:

1: You know how Gmail keeps every email address you email stored away, will ALL of these emails addresses get thrown into my address book? I wouldn't want that at all.

2: How should I initialize it? Should I delete all of my google contacts and then setup the sync so that all my of OS X Address Book contacts get uploaded? Or will it backfire on me and does Google have priority and as such all of my contacts will be deleted?

Basically, I just get confused on priority with the sync and what exactly happens with each service. Thanks for your help here.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. no

2. When I set this up I deleted everything from the GMail contacts and then setup sync in the Address Book and it moved everything from the Address Book into contacts with no problems.

3. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. Should work as advertised then. I'll give it a shot when I get back home. Thanks for the prompt response.

4. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello,

If I can please interject here. How are you syncing your Google Address book with Address Book? I've been able to sync my Google Calender with iCal but the only way I've been able to sync my contacts is a 3 step process through my iPhone and iTunes. Is there an easier way that I'm missing?

Thanks
    David

5. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Snow Leopard puts the option to sync contacts with Google right into the Address Book application. Just open up Address Book and go to preferences -> accounts.

6. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Okay, I had already done that but for some reason it's NOT syncing that way.

I've got it setup with my username and password and synchronize with Google checked, yet it doesn't. Hmmmmm.

7. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Unless it's just not "almost instant" like an Exchange/Mobile Me type server.