Address Book into Text Edit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by idunn, Dec 18, 2010.

1. idunn macrumors 6502

I need a database of names and addresses that can be exported into a word processor for output of paper letters, with envelopes.

Would anyone know of the best way to effect this?

Anymore I use email, but in this instance that will not work. The standard Address Book would work fine for the data, but I find no way of importing each name and address to a word processor, such as Text Edit. The closest I've come is exporting a vCard from Address Book, which then can be opened by Text Edit, however not only several steps required, but also a profusion of needless data entwining the name and address.

If not wishing to pay for all the many features of iWork, I'm not even sure if this suite of programs would answer this task, either.

If preferring to use the Address Book, what would be the best solution, possibly software, to do this?

Thank you.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

The Help section of Neo Office(free) says that it can do this. I've never had a need to do it, so can't say if it's easy to do.

3. idunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thank you for the reference to NeoOffice.

I've looked at a lot of different options. Some of the more advanced are various CRM programs, such as Daylight. However many appear better adapted to someone in business who has a lot to keep track of. Even if complex, I'm not even sure if many of these would do something as basic as outputting letters in the fashion I want.

In the end I may stick with Address Book and Text Edit, even if the process somewhat manual. Address Book will simply output envelopes with addresses, and from that I can copy name and address for the header of a business letter within Text Edit. Problem more or less solved, unless I want to keep track of the results. That would be another program.

4. dangerfish macrumors 6502

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you need to manipulate the data in the word processor? Or do you just want to print it once you get it there? You can print all the address book info straight from address book onto envelopes, labels or paper.

5. idunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Purpose

In this instance, names and addresses from Address Book printed onto envelopes. I know it can do that.

I also need the same names and addresses transferred into a word processor, such as Text Edit, to use as headers in business letters. To the extent of positioning, type face, etc., yes, the data would have to be manipulated.

The simplest method I've discovered thus far is to output an envelope, wherein in Preview it is possible to copy the name and address for some other purpose. I know of no way to do the same directly from Address Book listings, since everything is in separate fields.