Address book just ***** me over!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thejadedmonkey, Jul 4, 2007.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Last night I was trying to sync my phone (which I do all the time) and it wasn't working, so I just went to sleep. This morning Adium won't open, I look... address book is hung, along with ical, the address book widget, and mail. I force quit everything, and try syncing again. Address book wants to update over 5% of my contacts, please confirm. I automatically hit OK before realizing that it wants to update 60 contacts... @#$%

My phone now has one contact in it, Apple Inc. My address book, which previously had over 200 names in it, only has the 60 names that I synced with my phone, and of those 60 names, they're all blank. The other 140 contacts are completely gone.

I tried rebooting, and I got a recovered file in my trash, 63 contacts, but they're all empty..

Sorry, I needed to vent, this seriously upset me. In the mean time, does anyone have any tips to getting the contacts back, or how to make sure this never happens again? I'm going to start backing up my address book once I've fixed it. Grr

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

that probably would've worked, but I've been syncing my contacts as I re-add them so my previous backup was a bad one anyway... @#$%^&*

thanks though, I'll keep it in mind if this ever happens again =(

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yikes. I'd never seen corruption that bad with iSync - though I had several contacts emptied, or one contact displaying the previous contacts details etc.

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Is it snarky of me to suggest you just restore your latest backup?

(-and if you don't have one suggest you ask yourself who "f-ed you over" again?) :(

6. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My backup was my cellphone, I never imagined syncing my phone would kill my address book in my computer AND cell! And then I went and F'ed myself there when I hit yes before realizing that it was going to update 60 contacts. I have a backup now though, and I plan on backing up regularly.. Time Machine would've been REALLY handy right about now.