Address Book keeps entering old addresses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soonadog, Sep 5, 2011.

1. soonadog macrumors member

When someone changes their email address, I go to the address book, delete the old address and enter the new one. Then when I go to send them an email and start typing their name, it brings up the old address as well as the new one - so I have to select the address.

Why is this? They are obsolete addresses and I want them to just go away! When I go the address book sure enough there is no sign of the old deleted address so I don't know why Mail is auto-filling them.

Thanks for any help.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In Mail, go to Window -> Previous Recipients. You can just delete everything in there, or just remove the ones that you don't want in there anymore.

jW

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thanx! :D

4. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thanks. That's yet another weird Mac thing that doesn't make sense and is very frustrating.

I just assumed that the autofilled addresses were culled from my address book only. Maybe there should be a message box asking you if you want to use an address that's not in your address book - or if you want to add it to your address book, or something else that would alert you.

Or just not remember previous manually-entered addresses if they are not in your addy book!

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Any autofill function I've ever seen will fill in anything you ever typed into that field. I find it not only helpful but logical. It's just a matter of knowing how to edit that information, and now that you know, I'd be surprised if you ever notice it again.

jW