Address Book Locked Up - can not edit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iriejedi, Nov 16, 2007.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Anyone else have the problem with their address book becoming un-editable?

I have checked all the permissions and they are fine. When I run Disc Utility it tells me there is an Unexpected ACL amazingly enough for Address Book.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.1 but the lock up happeded before the update. I know at one point I suddenly had duplicate addresses, I deleted those, updated the lists that were effected... thought it was odd but none the less, it was an easy fix. Here is the errors from my permission repair. Address book is at the bottom but look at all the other things? I've even tried the Leopard DVD permission rest in the reset password function. Dang. Oh well.

Finally I did do a repair of permissions,disc from a 10.4.10 boot disc on my leopard drive... I am also thinking now tis was dumb.

Here is my error list - I appreciate our time to look and offer suggestions.

Repairing permissions for “Mother Ship”

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Permissions differ on "sbin/restore", should be -r-xr-xr-x , they are -r-sr-sr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "sbin/restore" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Permissions differ on "sbin/rrestore", should be -r-xr-xr-x , they are -r-sr-sr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "sbin/rrestore" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Permissions differ on "private/var/root/Library/.localized", should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences".
    ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library".
    Permissions differ on "private/var/root", should be drwxr-x--- , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "sbin/launchd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "sbin/launchd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Group differs on "usr/bin/lppasswd", should be 0, group is 26.
    Permissions differ on "usr/bin/lppasswd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/lppasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Address Book.app/Contents".
    ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Address Book.app".
    ACL found but not expected on ".".

Permissions repair complete

2. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Re-install Leopard???

Note - I am also thinking to do an archive and re-install of Leopard... I'm hoping this is a last resort but again easy enough.

Thanks again (in adavance) for your help

Iriejedi

3. erx11 macrumors newbie

Having the same problem. Anyway to avoid a reinstall, if it is even that serious of a problem?

4. timelord65 macrumors newbie

timelord65

Address Book Hell

I have the same problem and it is VERY inconvenient - Address Book is locked up so you cant edit. Also cant send sms by bluetooth or send cards to the phone - all stuff I used all the time in 10.4. Also I have a HK iSub which is now useless. This Leopard thing really is like Vista isnt it?

5. decal macrumors member

decal

Looks as if I have solved my address book No edit issue.

I went in to get info and added my self back into the Privilege list under "Sharing and Permissions" and made myself the owner of the file. Then I deleted the "System" from the list. Hey Presto all is good with the world again! I have just done a restart and it is all still working I can now edit my address book again.

This may also help with the other Permission issues?

Best of luck.

6. huskey fan macrumors newbie

address book problems

hi

i am having ghe same problem with the address book.
    i have tried to follow this tip by adding myself to sharing and permissions. however, i can't delete the system from the list. the "-" button will not highlight when i click on system.

any help?

thanks.
    bruce

7. huskey fan macrumors newbie

re address book problems

hi

i found this advice elsewhere and it worked perfectly!

All I had to do was go to my user desktop/library/application support/address book and get info. Under sharing & permissions I selected apply to all enclosed. And it now works.

"

bruce

8. GoatHerderEd macrumors newbie

You can right click your Home folder in Finder, get info, make yourself the owner and apply to all enclosed items. That should accomplish the task.