address book on mac and iPhone not the same

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreeneyes, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

Hi,

i noticed all my contacts on my mac address book, are not the same on my iPhone.

on my mac i only have 31 contacts, while on my iPhone 1 have 110 contacts.

and i can seem to get both to be in sync.

what am i doing wrong?

2. DavoteK macrumors 6502

You need to check what accounts you have in Mail, Contacts Calendars under Settings on your iPhone. You may have an account that is syncing your contacts that isn't the iCloud/MobileMe account. Be careful when trying to change it around, you could lose all your contacts, it does warn you, but we can all get a bit click happy at times.

I think you can sync your contacts manually by plugging your iPhone in to your Mac and on the Info tab you can select to sync with Address Book.

Once you've done that, you can look at ensuring that you have your iCloud/MobileMe account to sync your contacts, then any changes you make on the Mac or iPhone will be replicated.

3. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

one sidechannel way to edit/sync contacts

I've found that the gmail contacts editor is the best way (IMHO) for me to sync devices with other devices - this includes iPhone, android, WinPho7, MacBooks, home iMac.

Sticking within the Apple 'locked-in' cloud, I eventually ended up with multiple copies of every contact from earlier MobileMe trials, and I wasn't able to easily export to new devices.

It's slightly hard to activate the gmail contacts editor, in that you need to first log-in at gmail.google.com with user/passwd - on safari or firefox browser for example, then in a new window type www.google.com/contacts and the full page editor will appear, allowing grouping, merging and plain deleting of your contacts list, worth playing with!?