Address Book Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMacBook, Sep 20, 2007.

1. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

So, I added a contact, and lets say I forgot to add something. So, I go back and click edit and now I am presented with a smaller card than before. (Ignore the watermark.)

When adding the person:
    [​IMG]
    When going back and attempting to edit:
    [​IMG]

Now, why is it I have less areas to input things? I need all those areas even when I re-edit a card. Please help.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Once you fill in that blank phone #, you should get a little green circle with a plus to the right of the red circle with a minus. Click that to add additional phone # fields.

4. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I did that. But it still won't show all the fields that I have selected.

Here is my template:
    [​IMG]
    And here is editting it:
    [​IMG]

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You ll need to add the fields you want into the template and then it will show up when you try to edit an entry.

6. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Alright. I did that. But, it still doesn't give me all my fields.

[​IMG]
    Click for full size

7. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Thats interesting so when you try to edit it just gives you the option to store 2 phone numbers.

But now that I tried it out if I add a contact it lets me add 4 numbers. So probably you cant edit and add more than 2 numbers but while creating a new entry it will let you do it.

8. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Thats pretty stupid if you ask me. You have to re-create an entire card in order to add something new. Lame :(

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The one that doesn't allow you to add field (on the right) has a field being editiing. Once you click in a field to add info (as you have with that second phone number), your ability to add fields using the + signs in the green circles is diminished. If you have an empty field in any category, Address Book assumes you are going to add info to that field and then add more fields later if needed.

Click out of that field (or better yet fill it) and you should be able to add additional fields (the green + signs should appear.

10. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I knew I was missing something :)
    Thanks

11. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I have no idea what you just said. :(

Can I have a simple version? To many "fields" in that paragraph.

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

When you have a field (such as work phone) that isn't filled or is in the process of being filled, Address Book won't let you add more until that one is full. So the easiest thing to do is to fill in that phone number. Then you will have the little green + sign available to add additional phone numbers/etc.

It won't let you add multiple fields back in and leave them empty (for that, you have to edit the template). So for your existing cards, you have to use the green + sign to add them one at a time (filling each one as you go along).

13. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

So, you are basically saying that whatever is on my template, it will show when making a new card.

But, when I go to edit a card, I press the + to view the other entries that I have enabled on the template.

Thats correct, right?

14. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Basically, Yes.

New contacts will have all the fields in your template.

For old contacts, when you hit the green + it will add new fields one at a time. But it doesn't like to add a new one until all the displayed ones are full. I believe it adds them in order according to how your template is set up, but I'm not sure.

15. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Ahhhhh! I see now. I have three numbers for one thing. I stopped editing. Went back and then it allowed me to add more, until all previous numbers were filled.

Thats kind of lame It just show all of them by default. Oh well.