Address Book Stuck at 100% CPU because of CCC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaLurker, Nov 20, 2007.

1. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Thought I'd post this for you guys in case you run into the same problem.

Yesterday I was using CCC backing up my main hard disk to an external Firewire drive when I need to boot windows using Parallels. After clicking on Parallels, I experienced a kernel panic. I promptly rebooted.

After reboot my system seemed to work fine, but when I started Address Book, Mail or iCal I noticed CPU usage was pegged at 100%.

I check Activity Monitor and noticed
    - AddressBookSync
    - AddressBookManager
    - Address Book
    - iCal
    - Mail

were all sharing the CPU at maxing out. Trying to close the three applications did not succeed. I had to force quit in Activity Monitor.

I spent a couple of hours trying to debug the issue. Initially I thought it was a sync problem. I reset the sync in iSync, removed the Sync data folders, turned off Sync with .Mac but none of those worked.

I left the machine on overnight and still nothing.

This morning, I decided maybe it was Address Book. I went and removed the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book.

Rebooted, restarted Mail, iCal and Address Book and everything was fine.

I think the kernel panic probably corrupted my Address Book files which caused an infinite loop when attempting to sync with iCal and Mail.

If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know! Otherwise, just an FYI for other people experiencing this problem.

Keywords: high cpu usage

2. DaLurker thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I discovered it wasn't because of the kernel panic but actually because of Carbon Copy Cloner. Whenever I performed a clone at some point my CPU gets pegged at 100% and its because of AddressBookSync, and AddressbookManager. In fact so many of these processes are spawned it deadlocks my computer (screen still changes with Activity manager but my mouse disappears and I can't do anything except hard reset).

I tested it 3 times and it happens every time. Time to drop in the CCC forums I think.