Address Book window keeps getting shorter and shorter every time I open it.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My Address Book window keeps getting shorter and shorter every time I open it. Try it for yourself. Open Address Book and quit it... then open it again and quit it again. Every time you launch it, the window will be 4-5 pixels shorter. Keep doing it and it will get VERY short. Does this annoy anyone else?

I'm running 10.5.6 Leopard.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mine opens in exactly the same position, exactly the same size every time.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like a corrupt plist file - Address Book's window size and position information is stored in its plist. Therefore, if you delete it and let Address Book create a new one, the problem should go away. The file is in /Users/username/Library/Preferences and is called com.apple.addressbook.plist.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I already tried that. It didn't help. Nobody else is experiencing this?

5. treichert macrumors 6502

Yeah I read about that a while ago and couldn't believe it until I tried it myself. You have to actually quit Adress Book and restart it for it to happen.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated, quitting and restarting Address Book does not reproduce the problem.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't believe you.

The only way I found to actually fix this is to LOCK the com.apple.addressbook.plist file after I set my window to the size I wanted. You're welcome.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't care what you believe! I already stated that I can open and close Address Book and every time it comes up in the same position and the same size. Just because you have a problem, doesn't mean everyone else has the same problem! :rolleyes:

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've talked to other people running Leopard and theirs does the same thing. Are you sure you're quitting it? What I really wanna know is how your setup is different than mine so I can fix it.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I KNOW how to quit an application! This isn't rocket science:

Picture 3.jpg

I can position and resize my Address Book window the way I want it, then QUIT the application, then re-launch it and the window opens in exactly the same size and position as where I left it. It has done this since day one, right out of the box. The same goes for iCal, iPhoto, Mail, etc.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Address Book is the only App that has this problem. I noticed you were using the menu to Quit... have you tried cmd-Q? I've been using the keyboard command... maybe somehow that makes a difference (doubt it though). I'm just trying to figure out how my Leopard is different.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I've done it both ways. There is no difference between using a menu command or a keyboard shortcut.

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How many contacts do you have? You should take a screenshot, close Address Book, relaunch it, and take another screenshot and post them.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've already explained in detail that it's working as designed. Walk into any Apple store and try it on any Mac. I have no reason to lie about this, and I don't need to keep proving something to someone who doesn't believe me.

15. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's what I know.

1. It works correctly for you
    2. It doesn't work for me and my friend

So, I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but at the same time, I'm double-checking that you know what you're doing. Is that so bad? Am I supposed to assume everyone's on the same exact page as me?

16. glasserp macrumors regular

FWIW, this is something that has also happened to just my address book since day 1 of Leopard, and it's pretty annoying.

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

After reading this thread I tried quitting and restarting 10 times.

Worked fine for me.

But, even if it didn't, I don't think I'd find it annoying since I only use it once or twice a day.

If you're using it often maybe just keep it open in the background so you don't get annoyed.

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Apparently it's only certain Leopard installs since it doesn't happen on ggjstudios's computer. I wonder what he's doing....

Edit: I've already fixed the problem by locking the preference file, but I still find it odd that ggjstudios's computer is unaffected by this bug that clearly other people have too.

I found some more threads on the subject:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8980890
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1603176&tstart=105
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=599691