Address Book Won't Open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Jul 3, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I have a MBP running OS X 10.4 and have done all the updates. I am having a lot of problems with my computer, but one big problem going on right now is that I am unable to open Address Book. I click on it in the dock and in finder but nothing happens; in the dock it bounces once and then that is it.

What is going on and why can't I open it up.

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Well i can't see why it wouldn't be working. Did it work at all after you updated?

One option is to reinstall it by using Pacifist

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

what about deleting the addressbook.plist file (do a Spotlight search). you say you tried to open it via the dock; what about via the Finder? or Quicksilver (if you use it)? or Spotlight?

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I just deleted the .plist files but still nothing. I have tried The Dock, Finder, and Spotlight. I do not have quicksilver...

I don't know why this stopped working. I think it worked after the update but I do not remember....

Man this sucks... I can't see anyone's address or number and I have all my contacts stored on my computer... Any other suggestions?

I found an AddressBook.pkg in the Receipts folder, but trying to install it just gives me an error.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

does it work in another account? set up another account in the Accounts pane in System Preferences (with admin rights) and see if it works there. this will tell you (us) whether there is something up with your account or the application itself.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok done. I created a new account. Logged in to it and the Application still didn't work. It jumped up once and then did nothing. Not even a little arrow underneath it.

Update: I have restarted my computer. Still nothing. Well now I get two bounces and then it stops bouncing. Nothing else happens.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

in other forums i've searched, the solution always lies in Pacifist.

you might want to call Apple first, though, since it sounds like you have everything (contacts, phone numbers, etc.) in there and Pacifist would presumably erase all that.

let us know what you do and what they say if you call.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Go to [home dir]/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/ and back up both AddressBook.data and AddressBook.data.previous, as they are the files with your current and previous data respectively.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Damn... That means I might have to pay. Or perhaps it'll work this one time. Interesting. I'll back up my computer quick and see what happens....

Question though: If I back up my computer with address book screwed up, wouldn't the address book on my back up drive be screwed up as well?

10. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

When Address Book is up and running again you'd just drop these two files back.