Address Book won't open!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Keniff, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

A friend of mine has an old iMac G4 (10.3.9)
    [​IMG]

(not that it really matters, I guess)

And he just recently bought the latest Macbook, and wanted to transfer all his files over, so I talked him through it, and everything worked fine.

Except he was having an issue with transferring his Address Book over, it was just a case of not knowing how to do it.
    So I popped over to his place, and just as I was about to export I noticed all his (100's) address' were duplicated 8 times each!
    So I suggested to Merge them all before we do the export, so we selected ALL and clicked on Merge.
    Then we got the "Spinning Beach Ball" and I wasn't surprised, as the machine only has about 256MB RAM, I figured it would take a while to process.

But right then, unfortunately there was a power cut in his block for 30 minutes!

When everything came back on we were unable to open the address book!
    It bounced once, and then nothing, I could see the small black arrow under the Address book icon in the dock, but there was nothing.

So, this is what I tried to do:

1 - I shut the machine down and restarted holding down the options-command-P-R keys all at once, did the 3 chimes in order to reset the Pram, but no luck.

2 - I took the Address Book out of the Applications Folder and onto the desktop, and tried to open it from there, but still no joy (so I put it back).

3 - I ran 'Disk Utility' which showed nothing.

4 - I went into mail, and was able to open up the email address book there, but I couldn't see the physical real home address' which is what my friend really needs.

And the 'Start Up' 10.3 Install disks got lost long ago, I think!

----

So now we're stuck. I'd just like to get this whole address book out of this iMac and into the new Macbook.
    The intention is to clear the machine up, and pass it on to a younger member of the family as a free gift (in good working order).

I'm sure there must be a way around this, and if anyone can help I'd be very, very grateful...

Right now I'm getting looks from my friend of "I thought you knew what you were doing?" LOL :)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try copying the AddressBook directory in [your home folder]/Library/Application Support from the iMac to his new computer, replacing the one that's already there.

3. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

OK, I took a copy of the whole file named "AddressBook" within Library/Application Support on the iMac, and replaced it in the same location on the MacBook, and the Address Book wouldn't open.
    Even after restarting the MacBook.

(The address book on the new MacBook is empty at the moment, btw)

So, I put back the original MacBook "AddressBook" file, and it opened fine, even though it's empty.

So I tried a variation.

I took out a file (from the iMac AddressBook folder) called "AddressBook-v22.abcddb" and replaced that, and after restarting, the MacBook Address Book still wouldn't open!

So, I replaced the old files back, and once again, it opened fine, but now I'm back to where I started.

Did I follow your instructions properly?

(Thanks for helping, btw)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, hmm, I missed the bit about corruption somehow. You could try opening the same directory (~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook). Rename AddressBook.data to AddressBook.data.old and rename AddressBook.data. previous to AddressBook.data.

Does that help?

5. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Hey,

I followed your instructions, and the 'Address Book' did open that time, but it's empty..
    I feel like you're getting me closer...

If you have anymore suggestions I'd be very, very grateful?

K.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You did this on your iMac rather than your MacBook, correct?

7. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Yes, correct. :)

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Bugger.

I'm afraid I'm just about out of ideas. I don't suppose your friend has an iPod or iPhone that he has synced his contacts with, does he?

9. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Nope, sadly not, and he didn't back it up, either! :confused:
    I guess he's going to have to talk to one of those data retrieval companies...

Oh well, thank you very much for your time and help with this issue.

Have a great Christmas (if that's your thing), and an even better 2009.

K.

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It seems almost everyone learns to backup the hard way. Yea right after they lost something. Getting someone to retrieve the data is not cheap...

11. KittyB macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Please help!!!
    Ok, so I have the same problem as Kenniff....
    I have a macbook (1 year old).
    I was going through my address book to update it and I accidentally clicked on "merge" while all entries were selected.
    Now I have one card with everyone's information and any time I try to open address book, it bounces twice on the dock and the spinning ball comes back and I can't do anything with it.

I tried every suggestion I've read about so far:

1. trashed the application and preference files com.apple.addressbook.plist
    2. reinstalled with pacifist
    3. checked admin rights

Nothing works!!!!

Anyone has any other suggestion?

Thank you so much!

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

While you were trashing stuff, did you go after ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook too?

13. KittyB macrumors newbie

No... didn't trash that one... should I?
    Also, just an FYI...I don't care about losing my contacts...
    Tahnks for such a quick response!!!!

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes you should, or rather you should rename it to something like "AddressBook backup".

15. KittyB macrumors newbie

I will definitely try it when I get home and will post the result. (at work right now).
    I really hope this works bc I've working on this for 2 days now!!!
    Thanks again! I appreciate it!

16. KittyB macrumors newbie

OMG!!! It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Address book is back in business.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D