Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foz405

macrumors member
Original poster
I've recently upgraded from Panther to Tiger. Unfortunately the store did not bring all my address book across, although I still have a backup of the Panther system on a bootable external drive.
How can I get all my old addresses across please ?
:( :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I think you should be fine putting these files into the equivalent spot on your new system, whilst Address Book is closed. However, this will lose any new entries or changed entries you'll have made since running on Tiger. Will that be a problem? Use Address Book in Tiger to backup your entries first, just in case this all goes terribly wrong. You can do that from the File menu. :)

foz405

macrumors member
Original poster
Thank you very much. I did nearly what you said, copied the previous version into my Tiger folder after renaming that which was there to "old", just in case.
Oh, I only copies the data file, and left everything else alone. Seems to work.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :p

jimmychimp

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
Lost All My Addresses!!!

I was just updating my address book, when I got the spinning circle and though I only had to force quit Safari to get rid of it, when I returned to Address Book EVERYTHING had disappeared. Empty. Fortunately I had backed up (before my three hours of cleaning up my address book).. so I have not lost everything.. but I have lost all the changes that i made.

Has anyone had similar problems? Why did this happen?? Could have been disastrous...

ritarazzle

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
lost addresses

I just lost all my entries last night. I thought if I woke up this morning it would all be a bad dream. I've had a problem with severe crashing and brought it into the apple store, but they only found minor problems and like a child, it was on it's best behavior. It did not crash until I came home. I thought I did back up the address files (somewhere), but I cant find it yet.:(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is there anything in the Application Support folder at all? If there's a file named AddressBook.data.previous, then rename it to AddressBook.data whilst Address Book is closed and see if that gets things back up and running. Obviously you'll need to move the original file named AddressBook.data out of the folder before it'll let you rename AddressBook.data.previous. Does that make sense? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.