Address/e-mail/phone File Sync??????

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Tom R, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Tom R macrumors member

Good Morning...currently have a MacBook Pro and adding a iPhone 4S.

I want a universal address/phone/e-mail database that I can keep sync'd between my MBP and iPhone 4S.

I currently have both Mail and Entourage set up on MBP but use Entourage as my default as I am a longtime Outlook user and just prefer it a bit (personal preference).

1st question...will iPhone sync with Entourage on MBP? My thought is I could data enter info on MBP and sync it into iPhone?

2nd question...I have Office for Mac 2008...should I be updating to Office for Mac 2011?...ie; any improvements in Entourage to improve Mac compatibility?

3rd question...IF I need to use Mail...is there anyway to have address card automatically set up when you reply to an incoming e-mail...that is one of the features I like about Entourage.

In summary, I think the sync'd phone/address/e-mail data card is one of the fundamental features that most use...I just am a bit slow and would like some basic direction...Entourage/Outlook a preference but Mail as alternative???

Thanks All...Tom R

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Probably not what you're looking for but a hosted Exchange account is one possible solution. I'd definitely recommend Office 2011 for use with Exchange as it includes Outlook instead of Entourage.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

1) Old answer: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1670 . This solution is wonky in my experience.
    New (Lion) answer: Not sure

2) Office 2011 is probably more "in tune" with Snow Leopard or Lion than 2008 is. It includes Outlook instead of Entourage. But what Office 2011's Outlook is really for is an Exchange account.

3) http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#addemail . You definition of "automatic" may be different than Apple's.

I must emphasize that Outlook 2011 is not a solution for syncing a Mac and an iPhone for mail, calendar and contacts unless you have a hosted exchange account, as takeshi74 wrote.

Office365.com is one way to do it. $6 per month. You can just use the calendar/contacts aspect of Office365 and keep you existing email account and address.