Address / email / telephone number for complaints in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajnicho, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any details how how to make a complaint.

I would prefer by telephone, if not email or lastly by post.

I have a faulty phone that is 14 months old. I've tried claiming under the SoGA but no one in the company seem to have had any training in consumer law. All they do is refer me to their legal advisor. :mad:

----------

Apparently Apple consumers in the UK dont have a need to complain! :rolleyes:

2. ah123 macrumors regular

14 months? That's out of warranty.

As for complaints, why not go directly to an Apple store and speak to someone there?

Or try http://www.apple.com/uk/support/contact/

3. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

You have two options.

1. Get your phone repaired.
    2. Buy a new phone.

See the way I didn't give you three options? Complaining is a waste of time, because the phone is out of warranty.

Sales of Goods act won't cover a phone you've ruined. It's for stuff like TVs that blow up a month out of warranty, or stuff that doesn't work from day one.

4. ajnicho, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

The SoGA covers consumers for up to 6 years after purchase. This is IN ADDITION TO MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY.

I cant believe how many people havent a clue about their rights. The SoGA is a consumers biggest weapon against faulty products.

And actually, it's not something I've ruined! The phone is in pristine condition as it was on the first day I bought it. It's confirmed by the manager and genius to be a hardware fault.

Under UK consumer law a £600 should last more than 14 months. FACT! It would be different if I asked them to replace a £100 after 14 months. But I'm not!

ah123. I've been in the store, they manager was being coy, said he didnt know what the Sale of Goods Act was and that it wasnt store policy.

I've tried contacting customer services but all I get is a techinical support agent from Eastern Asia who doesnt really have a clue.

5. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

It's going to depend on what the fault is. If it's one that's known to them, like the discoloured screen or dodgy home button, then a sympathetic Genius is likely to replace it. Mine was replaced at 13 months for the home button issue with no hassle. and my iPad was replaced for free after I dropped it and cracked the touch screen. And I watched a girl get a free replacement after she dropped her phone twice, smashing both the front and back glass.

It also depends on how you approach them. I've always had great service from the Genius bar, and having spoken to a friend who manages a store, understand that their policy is essentially to delight the customer - but not if the customer looks like they're trying to pull a fast one. the quote from him was that they're always encouraged 'to do what Steve would do'. So a customer who demands something out of warranty almost certainly won't get it, but one who is genuine probably will. My friend had a customer recently who had had his MBP for months, but had so many hardware/software problems that he was simply getting angry with everyone involved through frustration, even though they sorted each issue. In the end, my friend went to a cupboard, got a new MBP out, and gave it to him. The bloke obviously thought it was an exchange, but it was an addition. He went away the happiest customer in the world that day, and has since been back, thanked them again, and has bought several more Apple devices, as well as, probably, told all his friends and colleagues about how good they are.

So, what's the problem with it?

Tiptopp

----------
    Edit -
    Having read your recent responses, bearing in mind what I said, I'm not surprised you haven't had sympathy.

What's the problem?

6. ah123 macrumors regular

All SoGA says is that you don't have a legal right to a replacement etc. after 6 years. It doesn't say you are entitled to one within 6 years.

Anyway, have you tried contacting direct gov?
    www.direct.gov.uk/consumer
    or call 08454 04 05 06.

Maybe they can give better advice than people on an Apple forum...

Surprised you didn't go to them first, given your knowledge of your rights etc.

7. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks tiptopp.

That's my philosophy as well. You never get anywhere with anyone if you piss them off from the start.

The phone's bluetooth radio doesnt work. It will not stay on and will not connect to anything. It is a genuine manufacturers fault - the "genius" and the manager confirmed it.

I asked if they could do anything, they said from the offset that it's £100 odd to get fixed.

I explained that I knew I was out of the manufacturers warranty, but as it's been confirmed as a manufacturing fault I'd like to ask for a repair or replacement as per my statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

He said he wasn't a lawyer and didnt know anything about it. He said I understand that it should last longer but it's just bad luck.

It really pisses me off to hear and see people get phones replaced for dropping them or for water damage yet a genuine fault and you get fobbed off.

Well, the law is on my side and I'll be making sure I get it fixed/replaced.

I just need someone in the UK I can complain to!

edit - tipptopp, when you get condescending and unhelpful, sarcastic responses - it's not hard to get your back up.

8. RadioactivePaul macrumors member

Send an email off to Tim Cooks address and you shall get a response from an executive agent.

Don't get your hopes high though, I've had better customer service from the Apple UK Online Store CS.

9. ajnicho, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not asking for advice about consumer law, I'm asking for some contact details to make my complaint. That is what Consumer Direct advice you to do first!

10. ah123 macrumors regular

Because I like to see you getting worked up when I am genuinely trying to help :rolleyes:

11. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

All well and fine then. :cool:

12. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

If your attitude was the same when you went to visit the store as it is in this thread, no wonder you didn't get a replacement.

If I worked in an Apple store, and you talked to me the way you've been ranting in this thread, I'd be having security throw your ass on to the pavement.

13. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked for a contact address or details to make a complaint not a lecture on the practices of consumer law.

Apple are bound by UK law as a trading company in the UK - I am within my rights to request a repair/replacement under the SoGA.

I just dont appreciate sarcastic or condescending comments that's all. And for the record, I know it's not the fault of the store so I would never argue/shout/scream at them - it's the company's fault for failing to train their staff on consumer law.

So. Any contact details. anyone?

14. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Last time I had appalling service from a member of Apple staff I was told to write to their standard address:
    Apple Sales International
    Hollyhill Industrial Estate
    Hollyhill, Cork
    Republic of Ireland

No idea if that's correct or not as I gave up complaining.

15. ah123 macrumors regular

You should say 'Please' when asking for help :)

16. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll give that address a whirl and will send it by RD.

They feel Apple Consumers should need to complain. Any problems should be addressed at store level.

Doesnt always pan out like that mind.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated

17. RadioactivePaul macrumors member

tcook@apple.com will get you a response from "Executive Relations EMEIA" based there.

18. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help Paul. I'll send an email as well. Better to go down a number of avenues.

I cant find any Apple Customer Services phone number at all. It's all tech support which is rather shoddy.

19. RadioactivePaul macrumors member

No worries, include a contact number too (if applicable) - They seem quite weary to admit wrongdoing and persist to speak via phone :eek:

20. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's it. I'd rather speak to a real person. I hate writing letters or emails.

21. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found a number to the head office in London so thought I'd give it a whirl.

I am stumped that nobody within the Apple Company in the UK know anything about Consumer Law. All I get is, "i am not a lawyer" or "maybe you should get your legal department to contact us"

Really??? My estimation of Apple has gone down massively in recent times!

Anyway, I've logged my complaint with Consumer Direct and will fight this all the way to the court if I have to. It's not like it will cost me anything other than a postage stamp.

Letter is getting posted tomorrow.

22. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Keep us posted. I'm genuinely interested to hear the outcome.

23. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking maybe they're not the ones who misunderstand the law... :rolleyes:

24. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems to be the case. I had an email in my inbox when I got back to work asking me to contact them as they believe it would best be dealt with by telephone.

25. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sean. I know my rights as a consumer. It's not my fault that you dont.

Anyway, I just had a call from a very nice lady from the Head Office in Ireland. She acknowledged the fact that as I am outside of the manufacturers warranty my consumer rights have kicked it.

She has agreed to have my phone replaced in store and is sending me the details on how to go about it.

Thanks for the help guys (especially Paul - it was a response to the email I sent to Tim Cook)