Adequate Video Editor Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yoe91, Aug 19, 2014.

1. yoe91 macrumors member

Hi guys, hope I'm in the right section here.

I've been dying, absolutely dying to get a proper, practical, easy video editing program...for any system really, Microsoft or Mac, but right now I'm on Mac only and REALLY REALLY need a proper one.

It's a software I'd be using often, basically daily, so I want it to be fast, efficient, simple. iMovie just doesn't do it for me.

What I really want to do with it is mostly cut and join parts of videos, and all the apps I've tried before are just way too complicated for such a simple feat. I'd like other little things too, like add transitions perhaps, add text maybe...

Could anyone point me in the right direction ? I've tried to find the right one by myself, never came close to finding the right all-encompassing elementary program I wanted.
    Can be free or not, I don't care. Just give me choices if you will.
    Many thanks.

2. Yuna1971 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new here and also after a good video editing software. I'm not too find of iMovie as I don't like that it doesn't have good filters for using with your movies and not a big enough range of effects or transition choices.
    I have previously used on windows 8 - Corel Video studio. It had some great plug ins that I think were free with the software.
    I made a few great movies with it, so since now using my MacAir (2013 model 4gb ram 128gb), I've struggled to find anything that gives me those Corel type of options and choice.
    Can anyone suggest something that's the same type of thing as Corel.?? Must have lots of gimmicks and choice. Price wise - not over £100 GBP. (Absolute max). Also, it needs to run well on the machine I have - realise I'm limited with speed and space (I do have an external 500gb hard drive)
    Thanks all and hope the op doesn't mind me posting here as saves yet another post with same sort of questions. Thanks :)
    Rachel

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

4. Yuna1971 macrumors newbie

Thanks firedept

FCP is a bit expensive
    Can I still download FCP express (no DVD drive on MacAir)?
    Also, what do you think of Hitfilm express?
    Thanks again

5. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

Think I'll try the Adobe one. Final Cut sounds like something enormous I'd use about 0.13% of.
    Thanks man !

As for that other poster, you're absolutely useless to me !!! :p

6. Yuna1971 macrumors newbie

Haven't a clue what that last bit meant to be honest. But best wishes.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The only way you could get Final Cut Express would be to find it somewhere like Ebay. It was discontinued, if I remember correctly, in 2011. So it is no longer supported and is old software. FCP X replaced it.

I can not offer you any advice on Hitfilm Express, as I have never used the program.

8. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

just a little jk, like, I don't want more whiners like myself asking for stuff !! :p
    Hope you find what you want too. Adobe Elements looks good.

9. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

actually, as I suspected, I tried the Trial version of Elements 11 on my Mac, an it's just too slow. I just trimmed a few passages from a video file, about 5minutes I kept at the end, and it took 11minutes to produce the file.

Software like Ultra Video Splitter are 10x faster than this on Microsoft PC's.
    Does anyone have something nice and simple and FAST ??
    Would really, really appreciate it, I've got tons of work to get done.

10. Yuna1971 macrumors newbie

You too :)
    Have you seen hitfilm 2 express? Have a look. Free trial I think on that one too. They have an ultimate version which is megga bucks but IMO the express version looks kinda cool.

11. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

K I'll try that. In the meantime, I tried "Wondershare Video Editor". The interface is excellent, very practical and simple and clean. But it takes too long for me to create the video once the trimming/editing is done. I REALLY need something as fast as Ultra Video Splitter. Also, the when the video comes out it's really big-sized: 255MB for 7minutes of mediocre quality footage. It should be about 60MB, proportionally.

There just doesn't seem to be a software out there that:
    - is clear and simple
    - is fast enough in exporting/producing videos
    - exports in an acceptable size (proportional to the original file)

12. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

K, QuickTime 7 for Mac is actually very, very fast. You set where the split begins, where it ends, you cut (or "trim") and then "Save As" and I just did a 7min selection from a video and it took like 3 seconds and I had the video on my hard drive, same quality as original file, and proportional size-wise (7min, 70MB).

But I'd still like more options, ppl, please just, go right ahead, don't be shy.

13. Yuna1971 macrumors newbie

http://hitfilm.com/express/requirements

There's a link here to hit film :)

14. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The minute you start adding transitions or anything else to a video, the time to encode that movie is going to take longer and the size of that video is going to grow. What you are asking for is impossible. I could have told you about Quicktime 7 Pro for splitting and trimming video as I use it myself.

But you are asking to add transitions, text, trailers and other things as well, then keep the same size video and have it encode in the same time as the original video length. This is impossible. No program I am aware of can do this. I will be surprised if anyone can come up with one. I use iMovie, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe Media Encoder, but none of them can do what you are asking and they are pretty decent programs.

At least I will learn something new if someone does come up with a program that can and I will certainly appreciate the knowledge.

15. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

cool. Well, d'you try it ? Happy ?

For me it's just way too much. I saw a YouTube vid, and it's the kind of program with lots of stuff around, complex interface, takes like 25 seconds to load...I just need snap of the finger stuff, bam bam, click click, done. Low RAM, simple program. Wow, that could be a verse-line in some rap:
    "Damn low RAM. Simple program".

16. simsaladimbamba

Lightworks perhaps?

And if an application is taking 25 seconds to load, then it is probably being started from an HDD or it is Avid Media Composer, which is a bit overkill for your needs.

17. Yuna1971 macrumors newbie

I haven't yet tried HF no but intend to download the trial. For me personally, I'm not bothered about something being snappy quick. I expect to have to wait or lag for certain things as I don't have a megga bucks super fast laptop in the MacAir. I don't have loads of space and the ram is only 4gb. As long as I can get a good program which keeps me interested and can create a great movie - I'm happy. The HF express software has got great reviews - as does HF ultimate (but that's like getting FCP - a bit too much cash but you never know if an offer will come). But HF express seems to have lots of effects and gimmicks with a decent interface and good support and that seems a good deal.
    So it's worth a try in my book.
    Whether I download the demo and find it's just too heavy on lag I don't know...we will see. :)

18. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

actually no, I've got a MBP with 8GB RAM, it's fast, but apps like Photoshop just take a little while to open, and some of those ones mentioned on this thread take much longer. PS CS5 only takes like 7 seconds, but that's already more than, say, a tiny app that just splits vids.
    I'm just saying I want a super fast software is all.

actually I just want to trim/cut/join really fast, as I know it possible (on Windows for e.g., even with low RAM) and MAYBE if possible, smooth transition options (an automatic 1sec fade in/fade out that separates trim 1 from trim 2 from trim 3...). And IF possible, adding text maybe, I dunno...but mostly what I said up there.

iMovie 11 looks pretty darn good, I only have, like, 8. But I don't want to have to get the whole Life '11, anybody know how I could get it separately ?

P.S.: I'm quite happy with QT 7 atm, as the basic thing I need i splitting/trimming.

Thx for the replies fellas !