Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I installed and used Adguard but I found it was not what I was looking for. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an uninstaller. I checked out adguard.com, its KB articles and FAQ. There's information to uninstall it on Windows but not OS X.

There seems to be kexts installed with the app, that I'd like to remove cleanly.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The Adguard launch process should be in one of these folders.

~/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

Or you could run an Etrecheck report and it would show you which of those folders it is in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Thanks, I can handle those, but I get nervous about deleting the kexts, I've had some bad experiences with removing kexts and causing issues.
2016-02-10_06-41-32.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I opened a ticket with their support who only got back to me about dragging the main app to the trash. If the install process puts files on my computer I expect them to provide a mechanism to remove those files - wishful thinking though.
[doublepost=1455113148][/doublepost]Perhaps @avatar-adg has some info on uninstalling the app.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Aww.... live dangerously!

I don't have any of those four folders/files, so it is pretty safe to say they are from the proxy install like it appears.
I rolled the dice and removed the files manually. Given the annual price of the application, I wish they provided a more elegent way of removing their files from my computer but at this point. I'm all set.

Reactions: Weaselboy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
I guess you are right, we should provide an article with a clear description on how to remove all the tails.

There seems to be kexts installed with the app, that I'd like to remove cleanly.

Kext is loaded dynamically, so when you exit the app, kext is also unloaded.

I rolled the dice and removed the files manually.

In general, this is what we will write in the article. Just remove all files, there's no danger.

Reactions: Weaselboy

jenx3989

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I installed and used Adguard but I found it was not what I was looking for. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an uninstaller. I checked out adguard.com, its KB articles and FAQ. There's information to uninstall it on Windows but not OS X.

Hey, I just found an easy way to uninstall Adguard. I had tried the normal ways of uninstalling apps, like sending the app to Trash, but an error message said that it couldn't because the app was open, even though I had Safari closed.

So you open Safari, from the top menu bar under "Safari", select from the dropdown list, "Preferences". A new mini window will open up with tab menu items with icons on the top. Select "Extensions" from the menu and then you should see the Adguard icon, click on it, then you should see in the main window a button that says "uninstall". Click on it, then Adguard will be safely uninstalled!

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I had some trouble removing it.

I googled around and followed the instructions here:
https://adguard.com/en/how-to-delete-adguard.html

Before I was able to move the Adguard to trash, I had to go in and manually kill the process in bash. I guess I could have done that from activity monitor too.

I also had to use sudo to remove the the directories/file listed in the link above.

Note that in addition to removing the files, you have to stop the process cfprefsd.

Adguard was preventing videos from playing on a number of sites. I would get the audio portion with just a blank screen. Removed Adguard and installed Adblock Plus and the videos work fine.

wengskieee

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017

in order to do that go to activity monitor seach for adguard then press x in upper leftside. the app is running thats you need to go to this app and delete it

Adryheat

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2017

I do had a hell of a time uninstalling it my Mac said I couldn't drag it to the trash because it was running. I looked in Force Quit, it wasn't there. By chance I clicked on the Adguard at the top of my screen then I did a mouse left click and found where to quit the program. After that I was able to drag it to the trash!

waziazi

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2018
USA
I guess you are right, we should provide an article with a clear description on how to remove all the tails.

Kext is loaded dynamically, so when you exit the app, kext is also unloaded.

In general, this is what we will write in the article. Just remove all files, there's no danger.

It is mid 2018 and you still didn't add a simpler uninstaller that fully and cleanly removes the app and its files from the computer... you know an app is **** when you have to google how to uninstall it, only to be lead to macrumors where you see them say they really should make it easier... 2yrs ago...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.