AdGuard Pro or other ad blocking software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kat.hayes, Jan 9, 2018.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I want to get an ad blocking program for my Mac. I was looking at AdGuard Pro, though before I buy it I was curious to hear what other people think of it and any other similar programs out there?

Thanks.

2. chscag macrumors 68020

chscag

I use Adblock + which is free and it works great to block ads in Safari.

3. Apple Fritter macrumors regular

Apple Fritter

Nothing comes close to AdGuard Pro. I have lifetime licences for all my devices and whenever I get a new one this is the first piece of software I slap on it.

Of course, it isn't free. Which also means that people are being paid to constantly work on improving things. Updates are rolling in regularly, which is needed in the light of ad companies trying to get around blocking all the time. Hasn't let me down on the most ad-infested sites where others failed.

4. home405a macrumors newbie

home405a

I have Adguard lifetime license and I don't care about adware. It works perfectly in my iMac and my iPhone.It´s the best adblocker I,ve never tried
    Regards!

5. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you purchase a license and install it on multiple devices?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    Are you referring to Adguard Pro or a different program?

6. home405a macrumors newbie

home405a

Adguard App in Mac and Adguard Free in iOS

7. Apple Fritter, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Apple Fritter macrumors regular

Apple Fritter

--- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---

Well, you can buy one license for x computers, so there is only one activation code for all devices. In case you meant to use e.g. a 2-computer license on 3 devices that might just work as well.

I swap computers a lot and never got bugged by some window telling me my licenses were all used up already. I guess they're quite lenient unless that activation code is used by hundreds and thousands of people because somebody posted it on some illicit web site.

That said, I think it doesn't hurt to support them by buying the amount of licenses you really need. Rarely have I seen a little software company so eager to please and also transparent about what they do, limitations, etc.

8. lexvo macrumors 65816

I also bought a lifetime licence for Adguard. What I found very positive was not only the product, but everything around it: support, quick replies to questions, forums etc..

9. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

10. avtella, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

avtella macrumors regular

11. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Another vote for ublock. Brilliant and free software.

12. Apple Fritter macrumors regular

Apple Fritter

Mercedes is the best.

Here, I added another highly subjective claim to the list.

As for adblockers, nothing comes close to Adguard's functionality. I have no idea why they only looked at the performance. Is it important if something takes 1 msec longer? Or how great the blocking works? The latter would be my no.1 metric when comparing blockers. Have an occasional ad that won't go away? Drop the team a note and it's taken care of.

Adguard doesn't even need a browser extension, it blocks system-wide. None of the others are capable of that. Combined with its agile staff and Adguard DNS on top, it's really hard to beat.

That said, µBlock might fit your bill perfectly. Yet, that doesn't make it the perfect choice for all intents and purposes.