Adhesive mounting discs don't stay stuck on jet black iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pinkoos, Sep 19, 2016.

1. pinkoos macrumors regular

I have a jet black 7. I typically go caseless but stick one of those thin metal discs to the back of my iPhone so I can use a magnetic mount in the car and at work.

I stuck one on the back of my iPhone yesterday and allowed it some time (ie, overnight) to "cure."

Stuck it on a magnetic mount I have setup at work and when I pulled the iPhone off the mount, the disc came right off and just stayed on the magnet.

The back of the 7 didn't even show any residual adhesive stuck to it. It just looked like I had never stuck anything on it.

I'm guessing the polished aluminum prevents these adhesives from curing properly? Not sure, didn't have this issue with my previous 6s.

The other possibility is that the adhesive on the back of this particular disc is of lesser quality. I don't believe it's the 3M adhesive you find in higher quality (and higher priced) mounting discs. This was a cheap disc/magnet mounting system.

2. vince730 macrumors member

I bought a fairly expensive magnetic mounting system back with the iPhone 6 and attempted to mount the magnetic plate (3M adhesive) to the exterior of the Smart Battery Case. I experienced the same issue with the metal simply detaching several days later with no evidence of it ever being adhered, so it seems some surfaces are just incompatible with adhesive.

Currently securing my 7+ with the metal plate wrapped in a thin layer of tissue (to prevent abrasion) inside the Apple leather case

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The first JB u it I saw was on display at Best Buy. When I flipped it over you could see where Best Buy had to take sandpaper to the bottom left corner of the back to scuff it up to get it's security cable to stick. The sanded area really looked bad when added to the thousands of grubby finger prints.

4. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

Maybe put a clear skin on the back and see if the plate will stick to that?