Adimin privilage error?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChuckSmith, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ChuckSmith macrumors newbie

I'm the administrator on my mac and I tried to delete a file and it tells me that I lack the privileges to delete it. Now I look under the "get info" and it tells me that I can read and write. How do I delete this file ?!?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are you sure it's a file that's not in use, and that the operating system doesn't depend on?

3. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

The file is off of a disk image I need to modify, which I created.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I've just had something similar to this with a video_ts file on a DVD I'd burned on a DVD recorder I have which is hooked up to the telly. I moved it to the users/shared folder and then logged in as another user (also with administrator rights) and found I could change the permissions from there so everyone had read and write access. Logged back in to my normal account and I could access it ok. Still don't understand why I couldn't change the permissions from my normal account in the first place.
    Not quite the same as your situation, but it might be worth a try.

5. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, it didn't work, thanks anyways though!

One of my friends said to enable the "root user" whatever that is... Could this work? if so how do I do it??

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

unless you are 100% sure of what your doing and are comfortable with UNIX do not start doing things in root.

You may have to recreate the disc image. It sounds like you got a bunch of files together and created a disk image out of them. You may have to mount the image save the files then recreate the disk image without the file you do not need.

7. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok look, I have a copy of leopard that I bought legitimately. Long story short I was sold a drop-in DVD, which wont install. There's an online guide that explains how to convert it into a retail copy of Leopard. I need to create a disk image from DVD and delete 1 file. Only 1! and I don't have the "permissions" so is there a way to do so?

BTW. I checked and what I'm doing is legal in Canada/quebec

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Did you upgrade your system from tiger?

9. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to a store, they were out of disks so they gave me that, they said that it's the disk without the box, it just doesn't work. And the store shut down so I can't exchange it.

And ya I'm running tiger