Adios Mac u were the best OS I've ever had

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, Dec 18, 2007.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Dear Mac Users and Mac Enthusiasts,

I am currently downloading Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm am cloning my hard drive right now so I can install Linux on my Mac. I love Mac OS X don't get me wrong, but lately I've found out that it's simplicity has greatly affected my ability to troubleshoot computer problems in general. With OS X things have been too easy; no advanced configuration whatsoever. Not even with Apache to say the least.

I need to be challenged with an OS and not dumbed down by it's simplistic use and advanced auto-configuration that leaves me simplified for simplicity sake. Now this is not a final goodbye, I'm just switching to Ubuntu to become challenged with configuration, advanced configuration, networking config, etc. etc. etc. Apple you have made it too easy on me and I thank you for that, but since I'm in the real world dealing with real computer problems it's time to step up and take computing to the next level and advance my skills in Linux and rekindle Windows skills. - Yes I will be buying a PC in the next 6 months.

Thank you mac users, this has been an experience I will never forgot and will tell people how easy I've had it with computers. Thank you everyone and thank you all.

Signed,

SlooksterPSV proud owner of an iBook G4 (the last of the G4's for Macs).

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, I guess I wish you the best of luck. Sorry to hear that you don't like the simplicity of Mac OS X anymore.

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

[​IMG]
    When they're well written, patronizing, underhanded complements have a way of making you feel warm and fuzzy, eh?
    Ya, almost brings eyes to my tears. I liked the dummed down part.

:p :D

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Look no further than Windows Registry.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

just wondering why you want to be challenged, surly the idea of having a computer is to use it not to spend time trying to fix it. If you need to learn things for work, get on a training course.

Have to say (and sorry if this sounds blunt) but this has to be be the dumbest reason I've ever heard of for switching OS.

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Don't forget about all those DLLs!

7. acxz macrumors regular

Before I bought a Mac I used Linux as a replacement to Windows. I enjoyed the challenges but when it came to actually getting some work done the problems that needed fixing just became a pain in the butt, and all I wanted was something that 'just worked'.

Good luck anyways.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

So, will you switch again in a year or two when Ubuntu has progressed enough to be simple for even the least techie users?

Hardy Heron is apparently including a much better install system, and the UI is getting a revamp...

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you don't like simplicity then why ubuntu, it is the simplest linux distribution out there.

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

My advice to the OP would be to invest in some truly demanding software for OSX and dedicate some time to mastering it.
    Flash / Actionscript is a good example of a very useful technology that will leave even the most technically sophisticated users with their hands full.

Animation, modeling and video compositing are other examples of rewarding apps to learn and master.

OS/Hardware-centric users are much like a "hunter" that spends most of his time selecting/tweaking/testing his rifle/ammunition/gear, but really has only an incidental interest in actually harvesting a deer.
    ie: the computer itself becomes the most important aspect of computing for some people.

GL

11. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Well, Ubuntu is certainly taking the easy way out. If you want a challenge, I'd suggest just building your own operating system from scratch. Otherwise, you're just being a wimp.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't have a problem with him wanting more power but I think the problem resides with the inability/not waning to learn UNIX commands. OS X is easily as powerful as any linux distro. Maybe he just wants a more powerful GUI?

13. acxz macrumors regular

Ubuntu sucks. I was a Debian and Fedora guy. But no, I won't be going back. I have my Mac and it works when I need it to. Unlike Linux when any update can bork xorg and you have to go through the process of rebuilding it manually. I learnt quite a bit about Linux in the time I used it but in the long term it wasn't for me (although it was a million times better than Windows...)

14. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok so I've had to reinstall Ubuntu twice, I found out Ubuntu is no longer officially supported they only do x86 64-bit and UltraSPARC editions but they still have PPC as a port.

here's a screenshot of my computer though, lots of configuring YAY. I like working with Linux and will probably soon revert back to OS X as I stated before. So OS X I'll probably come back to you within a few days:

Yes yes, start the flame... uh... yeah it is Vista, yes it is transparent... um...

Attached Files:

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Flaming you isn't an option, making it very uncomfortable for you to sit in front of the computer is the goal.

[​IMG]

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Pointless exercises 'R' us

Given that OS X is a full-blown Unix and as configurable as you want it to be, I guess the real problem is that you haven't really learned to use OS X yet.

Yes, you can customise Apache however you want.

Yes, you can compile X11 and console apps to your heart's content

Yes, you can run most of the X11 window managers.

*shrug*

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have a friend who exemplifies this attitude perfectly. He uses some variant of Linux on a generic Wintel box.

I sit and get work done, and he sits and downloads new drivers that don't work and then prints out and reads pages of forum threads to figure out why and tries another video card because maybe its drivers are better supported and struggles with other issues that ultimately result in a decision to try a different flavour of Linux so he spends the rest of the weekend reinstalling... meanwhile his wife and teenager daughters keep bugging him to get off the computer so he can attend to other needs around the house and so the daughters can log onto Facebook and chat on MSN Messenger using a third-party clone that doesn't fully support all the features her friends are using, like webcam chat and file transfer, so she complains constantly, and whenever things go wrong none of them have a clue how to fix things in Linux so they depend on him to come fix it up, sometimes necessitating another reinstall with a different setting so that sort of problem doesn't occur anymore, which starts the whole thing again the following weekend and drives the wife and kids insane, who wish he would just let them get a Mac like all their friends...

And I ask why doesn't he get himself a Mac or at least a bloody Windows box and he just says, "But this is better!"

GAH! :rolleyes:

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

:D

Yep, it's pretty nice when it comes to ease of installing and using.

That should keep him busy for a while.

Agree.

Wow, that is a short time! :eek:

Maybe for the OP it's that when the Mac boots it goes into the Mac GUI instead of the Linux (Utunbu in this case) environment.

Improvement requires pain.

As they say, no pain no gain! ;) :p :D

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL. Yeah looks like the OP is just being a wimp.

21. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok this is going to sound pathetic, but I'm ready to come back to OS X now... :( I miss OS X. When you deal with stupid people it makes you feel good that you don't have to worry about your computer that you don't need to fix it along with everyone elses. I'm coming back after I get off work, I'm sorry OS X I miss you *muah muah muah*

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm sorry, i thought i went to MacRumors...not your personal blog. Wait...
    :rolleyes:

23. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i know exactly what you mean, ive was thinking about doing installing unbuntu on my pb a while ago. OS X really is just too simple, i feel oddly disarmed when i try and troubleshoot mac machines. i think this is mostly due to the fact that i used to do IT work with windows machines, and i am used to having ten different solutions to any one problem.

in the end, ive opted for learning more about linux in OS X and built a PC to get my windows troubleshooting fix

24. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

It's fun setting up Ubuntu, and getting the Vista Aero theme working and that, but in the end... I'm back to OS X YAY! I just needed to get out of OS X, and I know exactly what you mean by having 10 solutions for 1 problem. That's what I do is internet tech support so we have to have various solutions and on a Mac it's just easy so I'm sticking with OS X, cause I'll have my fill at my job hehe.

25. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I don't get why you are leaving OS X. Even of you want to learn Linux then you should consider running on an older machine. Though as pointed out under OS X's Aqua is a UNIX core. I also agree with those who suggest other distro if you want a real challenge.