Adium Bandwidth Usage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jasonbot, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

For some reason my bandwisth usage has been really high recently and I think it's due to Adium. Normally how much bandwidth does adium take per message or whatever?

I was doing some chatting last night for about 2 hours and it used 162Mb sent and 173Mb received:eek: Is this normal or is there something wrong with my mac?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

unless you were sending files, 100-200mb of pure text is insanely large.

consider that there are background processes that use up bandwidth too - like background updates for applications and just the mere act of being connected.

Some of that might not even be internet traffic (where are you getting stats anyway?) and may just be local network traffic.

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The only app I had open was Adium and no apps taht I know of were downloading stuff? All this is online activity, I checked via my ISP. The conversation wasnt even taht long, maybe 100 lines or so.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Bizarre. Even with the protocol overhead, it wouldn't be much more than a couple hundred lines of text..which would be under 1mb, let alone that much :confused:

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As janey said.. it's not text that is doing it.
    You don't have any other apps that use bandwidth? No widgets? No P2P or torrents?

6. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Im running a few widgets, the internet connected ones are:
    Harmonic
    Currency converter
    and iShack.

Does adium use bandwidth to maintain connection?

The weird thing is that It was fine a few days ago but now its just getting sapped up faster than air:mad: My mom is really angry about it ass the cap is only 1Gb and it has already been exhausted twice this month (in the span of 2 days) and its just weird...

I think it might be folding @ home taht could be leeching my bandwidth? Just checked and it has quite a few processes in activity monitor. Could that be the problem?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's more then likely folding@home. You do have to download the work units and the upload the results.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow