Adium contact list question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobbyboulders, May 21, 2007.

1. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

ok, so basically i want to be able to distinguish b/w aim, msn and gtalk within my adium contact list.

Currently all contacts are appearing under the group 'buddies', except for my msn account contacts, which are appearing under their own groups (friends/family).

Ideally i would like a group named 'aim' and a group named 'gtalk' (whatever) so i can clearly distinguish b/w the two....

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can create groups, by going to Contact->Add Group. You can move people to new groups by selecting their name in the buddy list and pressing Apple+I (Get Info) then assigning them to a different group

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think he wants to have his already-made groups such as 'friends' and 'family' still in contact, so your method does not work...all I can think of is calling people e.g. AIM:Jenny, MSN:John and so on, so you know which account they're from...

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Have you tried Adium> Contact> Add Group... ?

Looks like this:

Picture 3.png

And make one that says AIM and one that says, whatever else, then just manually drag the contacts to the proper group?

Maybe someone else will have an easier way. :eek:

:edit: Way too slow. Stupid tabs. :eek:

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Another alternative would be to make the group names something like: Friends/AIM, Friends/Gtalk, Friends/MSN...etc.

6. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

Actually the contact>add group thing did work (Thanks guys..). Only drawback is, is that it's tedious work...ahh well at least its a solution

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Or you could make a custom List Layout with Service Icons turned on, so it shows next to each contact what service they're using.

I use groups myself. Tedious? How many contacts do you have? :)

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Gosh...I've had that turned off for so long I totally forgot about that as a possibility.

9. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

quite alot...extemely tedious if you have to do them one by one...

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Shift+click all the buddies you want to move at once, then :apple:+drag them into the group you want. That'll work a lot faster. :D

11. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

awesome! thanks:D