Adium equvalent for windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by roisin and mac, Jan 16, 2010.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

hi everyone, okay, so I just downloaded Adium for my macbook after the knowledgeable advice from these fine people :)

I set it up with my contacts immediately, and so I soon got some people chatting with me as I had been away for a couple weeks after getting rid of my previous IM app (Microsoft Messenger for Mac, bleargh). Even with this little bit of use, I am already so impressed with this that I want to find something to recommend to a couple of Windows users I would like to be able to chat with but who don't really use IM as they don't like the proprietary apps. I know that I can't recommend the actual adium because they don't make a windows version, but I was hoping y'all could recommend something along those lines.

I guess this isn't technically about windows on a mac, it's just windows, but really I don't have another forum I can trust for my computing, so I thought this might be okay :) If not, sorry!!

2. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Digsby is also a very nice alternative and is what I use on my work (Windows) machine.

3. Paul B macrumors 6502

I use Pidgin and love it. I've tried Trillian, it's okay too.

4. dankybear macrumors regular

i read somewhere that pidgin and adium use the same framework

5. The General macrumors 601

yeah they both use libpurple

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Trillian, hands down. It's well-established and has a load of themes available for download :)

I tried Pidgin once, and was sorely disappointed by constant crashing and freezing. Perhaps because it was still in early beta at the time :confused:

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

Pidgin has worked just fine for me. I used to use Trillian, but I stopped when it got as bloated and annoying as the Yahoo IM client. Pidgin is just right.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The latest Trillian does seem a bit on the excessive side, innit? I do like some things that Trillian has, though -- the feature that looks up words in Wikipedia and provides a bubble-over, which I think they've had for years, is pretty great.

Pidgin is great -- I don't know about the crashing an above poster mentioned... it's been pretty stable in Windows at least for the past few years.