Adium: File Transfer Problem (says contact cancelled transfer)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ICEBreaker, Jan 13, 2008.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear Adium users,

Ever since Adium upgraded to 1.2 (at least I think that is when it started), I have been unable to receive files from contacts. As soon as the transfer starts, it says the contact has canceled the transfer. Interestingly, a file of 0KB is actually written onto the destination folder, indicating everything went accordingly right up to the moment when the first byte is being transferred.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

JC

2. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I am also having some trouble sending files using Adium 1.2, in my case, I am the one starting the transfer, but it's been odd:

A contact using MSN in company A, didn't get the pop up window letting him know I was sending a file. I tried draging the file, and also using the send file button. non of those worked and I had to abort the transfer.

Other contact using Yahoo IM in company B, the transfer worked just fine using the send file button, the file was received just fine.

So, I wouldn't know if it is related to an issue with MSN, or a firewall issue in the recipient side. :apple:

3. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Nemex. Well, let's hope the new version of Adium fixes the problem. I haven't tried file transfer yet.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I think it is MSN related. I can receive and send files of / to other Adium-users, but can not send files to "normal" MSN-users. They can send me files without problems, though.

5. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Anyone knows how to fix this? Anyone has this problem too? It bothers me so much since I send/receive pictures,songs, etc in a daily basis and now I have to tell them to upload ecerything into sendspace. Please help us.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have never been able to do file transfers with adium... ever...

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i know, this happens to me all the time, i really wish they fixed this..:mad:.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I as well can confirm Adium does not transfer files well. In fact, I don't believe I have had one successful transfer using that program. Thankfully iChat can pick up the slack. :)

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i ve never even used iChat, all of my friends use hotmail (msn) accounts so i can t use iChat i really really wish i could i her it's great

10. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

With the upgraded Adium 1.2.1, I have been able to send and receive files through MSN network, although the transfer rate is appalling (may not be Adium related problem). For larger files, I have to resort to using an FTP server. Seems I may be slightly luckier than you guys in this respect since I can at least get small files through.

11. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Slow file transfers through the MSN protocol are an issue with the protocol itself, if it were possible to get the library that supports the protocol to use a newer version, it could then support Personal Status Messages, and have faster file transfers as well.