Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
has anybody else noticed the intensly slow transfer rates between mac and pc over the internet using adium?

the reason for my frustration is that i am on a 10MBPS campus network.....and my friends that i often transfer files between (jpegs and work documents, etc) are usually on the same 10MBPS connection. it takes ages, with no identifiable reason.

MSN messenger 5 for mac transfers them slightly faster, but it keeps logging me out at random, with some messages being sent not being recieved by the person i'm talking to.

what on earth could be the problem?

:mad: :confused: :(

S

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
i have had no problem

i consistantly get amazing transfer speeds on adium file transfers in my college network. To transfer a 350 MB file, it takes under two minutes.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
To be honest I have never gotten Adium to successfully file transfer, at least not between AIM accounts. If you both have Skype try that, I have gotten some incredible speeds transferring using that.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
TrumanApple said:
i consistantly get amazing transfer speeds on adium file transfers in my college network. To transfer a 350 MB file, it takes under two minutes.
In LAN, everything is OK. The file tranfer with Adium is slow on the internet

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
File transfer with Adium is still really shaky - it doesn't always work and when it does, it likes to be pretty slow for some people. Unfortunately, there won't be any updates to the program for at least 2 months (source: adium's site). When they do update it however, it will finally be version 1.0, and should be much more stable.

Try using iChat for transfers until then.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Certainly with the MSN interface on Adium, it has to send the files via the MSN servers (hence the dialup-grade speeds, since the MSN servers are usually overloaded), whereas the official Microsoft MSN clients make a direct connection to the other user's computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.