Adium help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarlboroLite, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I just switched to mac, and one of things I'm having the hardest time getting used to is chatting with these new clients completely different in look than in windows. I am really used to the AIM interface from windows and using Dead AIM to be able to log into different accounts at the same time. I see that Adium does this but it merges all the accounts into one buddy list which is very confusing to me and I feel like I may send a message to a wrong person!

Is there a way to log in to the different accounts but make them into separate buddy lists? And related....how can I get the windows version sounds like the door opening etc? I don't know if I can adjust! :(

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Adium is really fantastic, because it is so incredibly customizable. Check out AdiumXtras.com for hundreds and hundreds of downloads (including sound sets) to customize it. You can do that all yourself too, of course, if you just look in the preferences...among other things, you can set event sounds to any sound file you have.

As far as separating your different services...why not just enable the option to show the service icon next to each buddy? Or, if you still feel the need to be drastic, you could separate AIM people in to different groups than MSN and GTalk people. I personally love it that it meshes them all together; I turn off the service icons and use people's real names as the aliases, and then I never know (or care) what service I'm talking to them on.

3. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Thanks....I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to a single buddy list....

is there a way to format screen names because the way my screen name has appeared has gone all lowercase and I can't seem to find a way to change it back to normal.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You can set aliases for anyone on your buddy list. As for your own screen name, I don't know. Chat services are case-insensitive, so it doesn't matter if you sign in with upper or lowercase. I imagine other people will see your name however they entered it into their buddy list.

5. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

If you use mainly AIM, then use iChat. It allows separate buddy lists but doesn't allow the vast amount of customization Adium does. You can then use Adium for MSN and whatever else.