Adium is kinda busted...help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Syndacate, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Syndacate macrumors regular

Hey,

I use Adium since iChat is pathetic, IMO.

All of a sudden out of the clear blue, Adium will not display any windows. When I start up the application, it shows in the top bar, that is all. Usually the password prompt pops up - but nothing. Nothing at all shows up for this program except preferences. About doesn't work, check for updates doesn't work. It refuses to draw any window except the preferences window.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong? I "reinstalled" it but given the .app nature that wouldn't have done anything even if that had been the problem.

I've never seen anything like this, and there's no hope for finding info on google about it. Anybody have any clues?

PS: Every other program draws windows just fine...

2. mashny macrumors regular

Have you tried deleting any preference files from the Preference folder within the Library folder? What about the Adium folder in the Application Support folder within the Library folder? I'd try doing that as well. If you have Hazel (http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php), Hazel will search for all auxiliary files when you trash a program and ask if you want them deleted as well.

3. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Or AppDelete, a program that sounds very similar that is advertised on apple's site.

4. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I removed the Adium 2.0 folder in Application Support and the ~/Library/preference/..."adium.xml" preference and then copied a new version of Adium (the one I downloaded earlier today). Replaced the logs with my old log file and it started right up 100%. No need for that Hazel, or AppDelete. Though I do recall using AppDelete in the past, I forgot what for...

Thanks.