Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Hi I'm having problems with MSN on Adium 1.3.5 running OSX Leopard 10.5.8, it didn't work with 10.5.6 and 10.5.7. The error message is "Error: Unable to connect". In the settings it WILL work if I have the connect via HTTP box checked, however it isn't very stable and often disconnects. I think it is an OpenDNS problem because I connected successfully with my dongle with the connect via HTTP box unchecked. The OpenDNS settings are put into my Netgear router and I have a local static IP address on my mac using airport withe the OpenDNS settings in there too. Any suggestions as to how I can connect properly?

Thanks

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
This doesn't sound like a DNS problem at all.

If you can connect via port 80, DNS is working. If you select alternate methods, and it doesn't work, then that's a firewall/policy issue.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Where would the firewall be? Do I have to add a certain port to allow in my router?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Where would the firewall be? Do I have to add a certain port to allow in my router?

The router usually contains the firewall. Have you tried rebooting it? Consumer routers are notorious for getting flaky at times.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Yes they do get annoying and yes I have rebooted it many times due to overheating :O. It seems to be running fine this last month though.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Disconnect the WAN port of your router and plug it directly into your system? If it works, then your router is faulty.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Ethernet?

Yep, just unplug it from your router and put it in your computer. It should pull an IP automagically.

I'm assuming you have a separate DSL/cable modem that links to your NetGear via an ethernet cable.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
No it's a router/modem. I have a static IP address set up on my mac. Ill try the ethernet now and update you.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Did it pull OpenDNS servers or something else?

EDIT: Just noticed you have a combo unit. If you have no way of separating them, then the test is not good.

If you hook up a dongle, and get on the Internet, and it works, then I'm thinking your NetGear is shot. FWIW, I have vowed never to purchase NetGear equipment again.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
The internet and everything works but MSN on Adium. I have set the router to use OpenDNS servers instead of the automatic O2(my ISP) ones. Haha I don't particularly like Netgear myself however the UI is very clean and easy to use.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
If it is of any use I use OpenDNS and don't have this problem.

How old is your router? If it is overheating, there maybe other problems with it. Have you got another that you could try?

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
It's not that old, a year and a half I think. No that's my only router. I wonder if I remove the opendns settings if it will have an effect.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I removed the OpenDNS settings and it made no difference. I have a Netgear DG834PN wireless router. How can I get Adium to work properly with it?

Fixed it with a firmware upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.