Adium not connecting to hotmail since leopard upgrade:(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rema, Dec 26, 2007.

1. rema macrumors regular

Hi all since i upgraded to leopard a a few days ago i cant seem to log into my hotmail account, before i upgraded it worked great now it wont connect i tried connecting to aol and yahoo accounts and those work fine,

i have deleted adium and re-downloaded and reinstalled a few times but still no joy any help would be great ;)

cheers

rema

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Interesting. I just loaded it and all my accounts, including hotmail, connect fine. Did you do an upgrade to Leopard or a fresh install?

3. rema thread starter macrumors regular

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

There's your problem. There must be a preference you can delete? Anyone?

5. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

6. rema thread starter macrumors regular

sorry to ask, but whats a fresh install and what will it entail

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

Hope this helps you.

8. rema thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for link, i would really rather not go down that route are the any other possible solutions or will i be forced to to use the msn messenger

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Have you tried deleting the account from the preference pane then recreating it?

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

Good idea!

11. rema thread starter macrumors regular

thanks trainguy, i tried that still no joy is try to login for ages then a message pops up saying

Connection error from Notification server:
    Reading error

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The other thing you could try is move the adium folder out of application support(in library in your user folder) move this to the desktop. Then start adium. It will require you to enter your info all again. See if that works. If so you can either just reset everything up or move certain items back.

13. rema thread starter macrumors regular

thanks again trainguy for the suggestion but this also didnt work, i also tried reinstalling it onto the desktop but no joy either
    :confused:

14. jcronkhite macrumors newbie

This works :)

Go to http://www.naseem.co.uk/tips/leopard-problems-connecting-to-windows-live-messenger-using-adium/

and apply this fix. You'll have to use the terminal to make a backup of your hosts text file (so you can restore it if you make a mistake). There are instructions on how to restore as well.

This worked great for me. I just recommend that you close Adium before you apply the fix and then relaunch. No reboot required.

-Josh
    :apple::)

PS: Don't reinstall Leopard, that's WAY too crazy to resolve an issue with most small application after a new upgrade. I just can't see fresh installing my system for a chat utility.