adium on new mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quocy, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Quocy macrumors member

i currently have a macbook pro using adium as my primary IM MSN client. i have changed all my contacts alias to display their full names and not their email address.

my query is how do i get all my contacts alias' onto my new imac which i am ordering after the 9th sept (to see if apple will bump up the specs for the imac or if they will introduce the 'back to school' promo in the uk).

is there a preference file i need to move onto my new imac? because i have over 400 contacts and definitely not renaming each contact again!

thanks in advance :)

2. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I have around 600 hundred contacts, and a long time ago, someone in a windos pc, saved every one of the contacts to an exel format, and then i was able to pass it to mail, but Im still in the search for a beter MSN messenger for mac.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Did you link them to your address book or add an alias?

4. Quocy thread starter macrumors member

i directly changed the alias for each contact from their email address, i have no entries in my address book.

5. Quocy thread starter macrumors member

do you not like aduim?

6. Quocy thread starter macrumors member

hey guys

i found all the files that lists the alias for each contact, it was buried in the all the folders under 'Libary' hopefully it will work out!

7. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

The problem for me is the webcam support, and it just dont feel like home.
    In my country (peru) everyone has msn messenger, (EVERYONE) , and I feel that mac, really dosent care about messenger users.
    There was a tweat so you could use the ichat (with msn) but it sucked

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Adium prefs are stored in the Application Support folder in the Library. Just copy that folder (Adium folder) to your new Mac and everything will be identical.

9. Quocy thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i really appreciate your help :)

10. Stebus macrumors member

You have it the wrong way, Microsoft doesn't care about Mac users. Just look at Messenger for Mac, it's so far behind the times that it's not even worth using.

I believe that iChat is actually quite a good IM client, the problem is unless all your friends use Macs, you'll never use it over MSN. That's why we need a program like Adium to be able to converse with our PC buddies that get the full experience with MSN Live (or whatever it's called).