Adium or iChat preferred and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thadoggfather, Oct 5, 2008.

1. LinMac macrumors 65816

Adium because it supports many IM protocols all in one. I need to be able to use 4 different IM protocols and I would not want four different programs to do it.

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Adium. You can support multiple protocols at the same time, you can use many same protocol account's too. The last version wasn't stable though, you have to download the beta of it.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I used to use Adium but now I tend to just use iChat. I use the voice/video chat as well as MSN.

I get MSN in iChat via an Openfire Jabber server I run on my local machine, it supports other protocols as well. Though I haven't found a way of getting Xfire to work, not that there is a plugin for the latest version of Adium anyway.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I like both. Adium is great for multi-protocols.

However, iChat has slowly taken over the #1 spot for me since most of my friends have AIM/AOL names. It's nice having video/voice chats with them. I also use iChat to assist my parents with their computers since I can control their computer through iChat whenever I am chatting with them.

6. Tragedies macrumors 6502

7. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I'm on the border. On one hand, I love how iChat has no-frills file transfers... I also like the general messaging of iChat.

I love Adium's Chat logging. I love the fact that I can make the buddy list nice and compact. I love how when you restart a conversation it lets you see the last few lines from the previous conversation.

I would love iChat's screen sharing, but I have never gotten it to work. I also can't get the video chat to run stable.

That being said, as we speak, I'm trying to figure out which one i want to use..... :confused:

8. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Yes, you can use it through Jabber. Google it.

9. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

There is a Message-Style on Adium based on iChat if you want the best of the two worlds. Here is the link.

10. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Adium preferred. The feel and customization are worlds better on Adium, plus the obvious such as more protocols, etc. Plus it's constantly being updated and improved, while iChat just sort of feels basic and unloved. However, if you want video or audio, iChat it is.