Adium or Windows Messenger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bchamorro, Oct 25, 2008.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

Which one should I use for Windows Messenger chatting?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've used Adium for a while and quite like it, but try out both and see which you like. Adium can handle multiple IM accounts, such as MSN, Yahoo, etc. So if you use any other IM accounts as well then Adium is your best bet.

3. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

I think I will stick to Windows Messenger. I only use Windows Messenger.

4. kolax macrumors G3

I love the layout of Messenger:Mac - I just wish they would get off their backsides and provide A/V support for it.

5. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

been using adium for awhile, great im client for multiple protocols.

6. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Does MSN Messenger for Mac support MSN games? My boyfriend and I love playing Solitaire Showdown all the time (I'm on a PC, I don't own a Mac....Yet [ordering it REALLY soon])

7. Diaresi macrumors regular

Unfortunately not.

A while ago I would've said Microsoft Messenger was the better choice (if all you needed was an MSN client).

But since Microsoft Messenger started to display messages saying everyone online at the time I logged in had just logged in (ie. when i log in I get loads of those pop-up messages), and Adium added support for personal messages, i would definitely recommend Adium now :)

8. kolax macrumors G3

I've never had that with Messenger:Mac but it happens on only one of my accounts for Windows Live Messenger on Windows.

9. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

I tried both, Adium is the winner.

Windows Messenger is out of my MBP.

10. Ariez macrumors regular

Windows Messenger is better if thats the only protocol you use. Adium is a really nice alternative to iChat however.

11. Adamo macrumors 6502

I prefer Messenger:Mac myself, simple, does what I need it to and I've never had an issue with it. Tempted to go back to Adium for Google Talk support, but that's about it.

12. siriusbeat macrumors newbie

I've tried to like Messenger:mac, but it just can't compare to the customizability of Adium. Also, Messenger doesn't show the contact pictures, which is a huge negative for me. If Messenger could at least be updated to support audio and video, and allow for some customization, it would definitely be a great IM client. Most of my contacts are on Windows PCs using Windows Live Messenger, so the ability to add other IM accounts isn't a big deal for me. It really amazes me that the Mac BU at Microsoft hasn't updated Messenger:mac yet to support the same feature set as the Windows version.

13. tiggerr129 macrumors newbie

As a switcher i needed something that compared to trillian for Windows. never wanted MSN even then. most of my friends /family used different accounts so trillian was great.

Needless to say Adium does that. My only problem right now is trying to figure out how to sort the messages in descending order. I like to keep a couple days messages available, but even if it is just one day and a long chat, the window starts out with the first message of the day and I have to scroll down to see what the final message was. especially if it had a phone number etc that I need say right after lunch

And hey the duck is just awesome

14. wennydi macrumors newbie

Actually they can display pic (Messenger 7.0). I don't like it bcoz it keeps disconnecting!

I'm with you, master ADIUM...:cool:

15. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious