Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
One of the cool things that the official Microsoft Messenger has is the personal message feature where it's like a secondary title in addition to your main title. I'm assuming Adium has no plugin for this, do they? I'd like to stick with an all-in-one IMing client, and also the fact that Chat Transcript Manager plugs in with Adium and not MSFT Messenger is good.

So, if I want to use the Personal Message feature, am I going to be stuck with the official client?

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
I haven't found a way, so I just use a dash and then my message.

Will - *message here*

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
That's what I do as well, but I also want to be able to view other people's blurb/messages/etc. Hmm... This kind of sucks.

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
If you just use MSN and don't have contacts on any other service, you could try aMSN or Mercury.

I know that aMSN has the Personal Message feature, among others such as webcam etc. I'm not so sure about Mecury, but I believe it also has the Personal Message feature as well.

The downside is that neither app is as "pretty" as Adium nor are they cocoa-based. Mercury is Java-based, while aMSN is ported on a mac-compiled TK/TCL framework.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
See, I do use multiple services. I'll just stick with Adium. I'll use MSN Messenger rarely.

Thanks for the info.

ShinOkazaki

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
The only way avaible at the moment for displaying personal messages on MSN is using unoficcial and modified builds created by someone else.
I user this one (compiled by the one more kid on the adiumx official forums) and works quite well, but i do only use Adium for the MSN service, i don't have any idea of how this may work with other protocols.
Hope it might help :D

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
The only way avaible at the moment for displaying personal messages on MSN is using unoficcial and modified builds created by someone else.
I user this one (compiled by the one more kid on the adiumx official forums) and works quite well, but i do only use Adium for the MSN service, i don't have any idea of how this may work with other protocols.
Might have to look into this. I'm on dial-up, so it'll have to wait until I have some free time and I'm not using it. Thanks for the info!

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005

Cool. I'll have to give that a spin as well.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Wow. I'm impressed at how smoothly everything transitioned over from the official Adium client to the modded one. I mean, all my settings are the same; dock icon, message style, contact style, everything! I love Mac OS X! Haha. Well, not that I didn't already love it.

There are a few quirks in it, but I'll stick with it for a while. If I don't like it, I can just double click on the official client.

Thanks ShinOkazaki!

ShinOkazaki

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Wow. I'm impressed at how smoothly everything transitioned over from the official Adium client to the modded one. I mean, all my settings are the same; dock icon, message style, contact style, everything! I love Mac OS X! Haha. Well, not that I didn't already love it.

There are a few quirks in it, but I'll stick with it for a while. If I don't like it, I can just double click on the official client.

Thanks ShinOkazaki!

You're welcome mate :D

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
Reviving this thread because it was at the top of the Google results:

To set an MSN personal message in Adium, change your status message. To do this, go to either the dock (right-clicking) or the menubar icon, then to the Status menu, then click on your current status (e.g. Available). This will pop up a window allowing you to set a PM.

EDIT: Or rather, just go to "Custom...".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.