Adium question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juiceman311, Jun 20, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

Hello all--

Everytime my macbook goes to sleep, Adium logs off. Is there a way to keep it logged on? Thanks in advance.

2. 66217 Guest

Nope, when your MB goes to sleep it loses the internet connection.

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

You can't keep the internet connection going when the computer is asleep, or the computer wouldn't actually be asleep. When the computer is asleep, power consumption drops to a minimal level required to maintain the current state of your RAM. No other components are active and performing computations.

Now, you can prevent the computer from going to sleep with something like InsomniaX but I don't personally recommend it. Sleep mode exists for a reason.

4. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. Thanks for the quick responses.

5. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

So for future reference, suppose I'm downloading a huge file and it will take several hours. Will the computer go to sleep and shut the internet off, or will it recognize some active process (downloading) and not allow the system to shut off?

6. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

If your downloading a torrent with Azureus then it go to sleep but if your downloading from internet browser it should stay awake.

7. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Your computer should only go to sleep when its inactive. You might want to let it put the display to sleep while its downloading to save some battery and screen life, though.

8. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

9. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Turn the brightness all the way down. The key at the top of the keyboard should do it.

10. 66217 Guest

Click the battery icon in the menu bar.

Then select "Open Energy Saver". There you would find options to make you MB never sleep if it is connected to the wall. And also would be able to put only the display to sleep after certain time. Reducing the brightness is not per se the same.

If you are under battery power, I wouldn't recommend downloading large files, chances are you run out of battery before the download finishes.

Attached Files:

11. meredith20 macrumors newbie

other setting?

Hi,

does anyone know if you can leave Adium on so you actually get missed IMs when you're away? Since you can on AIM on a PC, there's gotta be a way on a mac. Or is there a good setting where the battery isn't totally weak but the machine is still running?

Thanks! :)

12. Pili macrumors regular

Just have the screen turn off and leave the computer running via the energy saver settings. You will still receive messages if your marked as away.

13. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you can leave Adium running but if your computer is set to sleep automatically after a certain amount of time, it'll cut the Internet connection. as was said before, when your computer sleeps, all mechanisms for connecting to the Internet are disabled (wired or wireless).

if you want to leave Adium open endlessly, you'll have to adjust your energy settings in System Preferences accordingly.

14. meredith20 macrumors newbie

Pili, would you mind walking me through what you suggested? I'm still new at this :)

thanks!

15. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Caffeine will keep your Mac from sleeping. I use it when I watch movies.

16. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Actually, when I use Azereus my mac stays on and I stay logged into Adium even though the screen goes to sleep. If I'm not downloading, that's when it goes completely to sleep.