Adium slow file transfers - possible solution/pointer to solution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GutBomb, Dec 7, 2008.

1. GutBomb macrumors regular

I noticed this morning it was taking an extremely long time to transfer a file over adium MSN to someone using MSN on pidgin on windows. I mean like super slow. I noticed when I moved my mouse over the file transfer window it sped up until I stopped moving my mouse. Intrigued, I started circling my mouse around the window. Surprisingly the transfer sped up again. It was bizarre. I tested again, and got the same behavior. So next time Adium is transferring a file way slower than you think it should, start impatiently moving the mouse around over the file transfer window. You may be surprised.

I promise this isn't a joke.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MSN has always had pathetic transfer speeds. Even with it's Live Messenger to Live Messenger on Windows.

3. GutBomb thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but this was even slower than normal. we're talking sub dial-up speeds. It said it was going to take 20 minutes to transfer a 300k file. Until i started up with my mouse magic and it just went!

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That sounds about right for MSN/Live Messenger.

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

That's why you should use iChat :)

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not everyone has an AIM/.Mac account. Majority are on Yahoo/MSN

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Only if you count Yahoo and MSN combined. AIM is roughly tied with MSN as the largest single network. However, certain networks dominate in certain areas. Western Europe and Australia are heavily MSN, with eastern Europe and Russia being heavily ICQ. Most of the US is heavily AIM, as are a few other areas. QQ is used in South Africa and China, and Gadu-Gadu in Poland.

<edit> As for MSN file transfer, the issue is that there are multiple ways to transfer files over MSN, each with tradeoffs. Adium supports proxied file transfers, which are fairly reliable, but slow. Hopefully in the future libpurple (the library we use for MSN support) will support direct file transfers with a fallback to proxied. </edit>