adium update says i dont have permission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by greenbreadmmm, Jul 10, 2007.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

when i try to install the update it says this

update error
    Adium does not have permission to write to the application's directory! Are you running off a disk image? If not, ask your system administrator for help

how can i fix this

thanks

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You need to have administrative privileges to write to the Applications directory typically.

3. greenbreadmmm thread starter macrumors regular

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Chances are you trying to open the application from the mounted disk image. i.e. you have double clicked on the .dmg a window has appeared and you are trying the application from their.

Simply drag the application out of that window to your applications folder and it should work fine.

5. jrogers1126 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem. Adium tells me that an update is available, and asks if I'd like to update, I think 'sure'!

It downloads and then gives me this error. I didn't launch it from a mounted disk, Adium launched the installer. I have admin rights, and have even set the perms on the Applications folder to 777 (temporarilly)

soo..... What's the deal? My guess is the installer is trying to write to a folder other than /Applications, and this error message is erroneous/inaccurate.

Attached Files:

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

7. Karvel macrumors regular

I get the same problem! And I'm certainly not running it off the disk image, how insulting! :p

8. Karvel macrumors regular

I've found a solution:

In your Applications folder, right-click/control-click on Adium and choose Get Info.

There will be a selection of disclosure-triangle headers (e.g. General, More Info, Name & Extension, Sharing etc.)

Click the triangle next to Sharing & Permissions, if it is not already visible.

It will show:

xx (Me)
    admin
    everyone

MAKE SURE "admin" is set to Read & Write, just like xx (Me) is.

Sorted!

edit: Nope, it doesn't work. Actual ffs.