Adium vs iChat - window/buddy list preferences

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac123, Jun 17, 2008.

1. imac123 macrumors regular

Right now I use Adium and like pretty much everything about it EXCEPT that I wish it had the video-chat features of iChat.

Since I only have an AIM and google chat acct I could use iChat, except I don't like how the buddy lists for each acct are displayed in separate windows in iChat. I wish it was just one clean compiled/merged buddy list like in Adium. Is there any way to do this in iChat?

2. littlevish macrumors member

I don't know, but you might like to know that video chat is being developed for Adium.

3. imac123 thread starter macrumors regular

oo thats good to know - any rumors about when this will be released?

4. cjduckk macrumors newbie

cjduckk

But of course! That would be the greatest addon for iChat ever created, Chax! Many great features, including unified contact list. Cheers! =)

regards,
    -c.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

can adium do file sharing yet? That was always a bigger issue for me than video. I still use adium mostly, but I do keep ichat around for those two features.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

It's been developed for a while now but nothing is rumored...We think that we might be getting video calls but i'm disappointed:(...

7. mashny macrumors regular

Adium's video solution has been in the works for a long time, and they have no idea when or if it will ever be ready. There is a plug-in solution they have that works quite well (I've used it) called MeBeam. You download it for free and just install it. It allows you to videochat across all platforms. I've had mixed luck with file transfer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

iChat's video and file transfer is superior to the MeBeam solution, but, depending on who I'm talking to, I'll use one or ther other. There are many PC users for whom iChat poses a difficulty... though I've had good luck when the PC user is using AIM.