Adium vs. iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boobooq88, Jun 10, 2007.

1. boobooq88 macrumors regular

Hello everyone. As I have never owned a Mac before (but my new MBP is on the way) i have never used either iChat or Adium. So I was wondering which you guys prefer and why. I will probably check them both out but just curious. :)

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I love Adium because I can chat with my friends on MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk, and AIM/.Mac all in one app. One buddy list. Just the buddy list and chat windows are highly customizable.

But then I still have iChat and Skype for when I want to have video/audio chats.

3. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Adium is handy if you have contacts spread out across several different IM networks (eg: MSN, AIM, Yahoo), as it can connect to all 3 of them. It is also highly configurable. On the downside, I still find even the latest version of Adium to be hit-and-miss with direct IM to IM file transfers...something which iChat handles with ease.

If you want to do video conferencing with other Mac users, then iChat wins, no questions.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I have heard of Adium but don't personally use it, although it would be handy to bundle all my IM accounts into one application.

I use Mercury messenger for MSN, handles webcam support nicely. iChat for AIM/ Gtalk. I have Skype, but rarely use it, same with Yahoo!

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I much prefer Adium over iChat, mainly because I don't have as many friends to use AIM than I do MSN.

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i like adium better as well, because it allows me to customize just about everything.

it's all good, cos iirc, leopard's ichat = adium.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Adium is better in pretty much every way unless you need audio/video.

8. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

That'd be great, so we'll just have to wait and see :p

9. pengu macrumors 6502a

where did you hear that!?

10. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I heard that too. Apparently in Leopard, iChat will support all the clients like MSN etc.

11. n00basaur macrumors regular

ichat here since I only use aim (everyone hip is on aim anyways:cool: )

plus ichat is sexy as hell to me.

12. evands macrumors member

Leopard's iChat, based on the available information from Apple, makes efforts to catch up to Adium in a couple ways, including tabbed chatting (although I'm not aware of whether the tab implementation is draggable like Adium's), support for the AIM invisible status, and revamped preferences. It definitely is *not* Adium.

It is very unlikely that iChat will support MSN except via Jabber transports.

(oingoboingo, success with direct connect is all about your router and its configration. If your router doesn't support UPnP or NAT-PMP [either of which yield excellent success generally], setting up port forwarding for ports 4443 and 5190 may improve your success rate.)

And for anyone curious about Adium when you don't use multiple protocols... I'm an AIM and Google Talk person, myself, and definitely prefer Adium :)

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I only use the MSN protocol with friends, and Skype for video. I barely know anyone, so iChat was only used for testing. Leopard's iChat does look awesome, and I'm sure I'll use it for remote control many times :)

Its nonsense, you can already use Jabber for it, but Adium it teh rulla of that market, and unless Apple does something which they so far have not announced, there will be nothing better than now for iChat compatibility with MSN.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I like Adium partly because of how flexible it is. I use these Xtras:
    Dock icon
    Contact list style

15. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

do you guys see more likely Adium with AV support or iChat with MSN support? will it ever happen? can we guess when?

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I doubt it will come in Leopard, but I think that there is a possibility that sometime down the line, iChat will be a cross-platform app. If they put it on the iPhone (yes, I have read those AT&T manuals) , I'm sure people would switch just for iChat :)

17. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

putting it in simple terms, adium is the best chat application for all clients, and those who have not used it are missing out on a great little app. ive tried the lot of them..

If iChat was open to all clients, it would be the best without question, but as an AIM client, its awesome.

With the leopard iChat hitting us today. im sure it will keep that status..

until iChat opens up, adium remains the best all round performer

18. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

I would love either iChat to be available to use MSn accounts and have webcam support or Adium to support webcam for its msn accounts, because java with mercury messenger is java and its slow.....

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

jordygreen, the Adium devs say video is in the works :)

20. pengu macrumors 6502a

i think that Adium needs the Apple KHTML-esque treatment.

Apple could hire the core people working on Adium to effectively replace iChat with Adium, using libgaim, obviously with all the fancy apple stuff (video, better integration with .mac, etc)

however given that they have an interest in selling .mac, i doubt we will see this happen :(

21. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

We can only hope, iChat now sucks, but if I get a mac with webcam I want to be able to use it... To bad I have no mac friends, or friends at all ><

22. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it would come with gaim-vv, and then with gaim 2.0 (now called pidgin, recently released), and now gaim will get it for gaim 3.0... So yes, probably "in the works", but when will 3.0 come here? in 2 years? 3?

So not real-soon-now(tm).

23. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

nice! where did you read that?

24. James Lahey macrumors newbie

I used to use adium, however, now use qnext. it lets me do everything those other programs do, and more. sharing is fast and easy, and the universal messenger is awesome.

25. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

I'm almost certain that's wrong, because there's not much enthusiasm about working on it on the Pidgin side. Maybe for Jabber only?