Adium vs. MSN?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jordnbeats, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Jordnbeats macrumors member

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Adium but msn servers are really pants these days

3. Jordnbeats thread starter macrumors member

How do you mean?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would say it is a matter of choice and need. I just made the switch recently from MSN to Adium. Adium has some nicer features for chat than MSN and supports other services better (I made the switch as I have a few contacts that use Yahoo and MSN shows them offline 90% of the time, when they are actually there and idle so Adium works better in that sense). MSN still seems to function better when dealing with solely MSN contacts though and is a lot less customizable (and I never use it, but has the voice and cam connect which I believe Adium doesn't fully support yet).

5. nostylluan macrumors member

microsoft doesn't like to share it's protocols/servers with third parties (hence xbox live)

so when you'll use adium, you'll lag ... and when you send files, it'll be 100 times slower. sometimes you'll chat and it just won't send.

in terms of IM (instant messege) the best choices for mac/windows in 2012 are skype and facebook

in canada where MSN was #1 IM, no one touches it anymore... everyone moved to skype/facebook

ichat is useless, it only works with yahoo/google/macs which no one cares about

skype or facebook.