Adium?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Dec 18, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

What's up with Adium? The developer was supposed to have a new version out in November, but they've been idle since then.

And does anybody have tips for improving file transfers???

2. Oktober macrumors regular

I would like to know this also. File transfers are incredibly slow. 2.6mb image file was taking 18+ mins. The guy that was sending me it could of driven here quicker.

What can I do? Is it a MSN messenger - Adium incapability thing? a PC to Mac thing?

3. 156457 macrumors 6502

I think it's because the files have to be uploaded to the web and then downloaded at the other end (all behind the scenes) because of the way Adium connects to the MSN API or whatever :)

4. Oktober macrumors regular

So in essence there is no way to improve it then.

Thanks for the input :)

5. 156457 macrumors 6502

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Not at the moment. Once libpurple implements direct file transfers things will speed up. For the time being though, the only way to get fast file transfer is to use a non-MSN protocol.

Most Adium development is focused on 1.4 right now, which is a scary-big snowleopard style internals rewrite. No ETA on it though. With any luck once Evan is back from doing real life stuff he'll get 1.3.3 out.